New guy with new tank...cloudy water problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taznmich

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I don't even have anything in the tank yet, just getting started. I have the right salt level and plan on adding the sand soon, but the water seems to be cloudy to me. It's been running about three weeks now and it still hasn't cleared up. Is there some kind of test I can do to see if there is anything in there that shouldn't be? Thx for any help.

Taznmich said:
I don't even have anything in the tank yet, just getting started. I have the right salt level and plan on adding the sand soon, but the water seems to be cloudy to me. It's been running about three weeks now and it still hasn't cleared up. Is there some kind of test I can do to see if there is anything in there that shouldn't be? Thx for any help.

What do u have for filtration?

I have two xp3 one with a med black filter in it and the other is just circulating water.

Taznmich said:
I have two xp3 one with a med black filter in it and the other is just circulating water.

Can u take a pic? I run a sump, is the xp3 a HOB? Also, size of ur tank?

I'll try to get a pic. The filters are canister filter with three levels you can put filters in. It's a 75 gallon tank. I use ro water from Meyers. Let me tell you to that it took some time at 20 gallons a trip. Lol. Want to thank you all to for taking the time to give me help.

That's a nice size tank to start with. You might have to do some PWC's, keep in mind it might be worth the money to invest in a RO/DI water. Throw some pics up later to let us know what it's looking like.

Thats crazy your tank has been running for 3 weeks now and it's still cloudy cause 3 of my tanks only stay cloudy for an hour or so

Hi
Just a long shot and don't take this the wrong way but in ur pic of the xp3 the lever in between the pipes is up that needs to be down otherwise no water will be pumping!

Do you have any form of carbon in your filter? Either regular carbon or Chemipure? Part of the purpose of carbon is to clear the water up and remove odors.:cool:

As far as the lever, I know I have the pump shut off right now as a clap broke on the return hose and leak got about 10-15 gallons of water. Arrrrrrrrrr. Always something. I don't have anything in the filter right now as I need to add the sand and live rock, but I didn't like the look of the water so I haven't done it yet. I'll pick up some and try that first. Thx for all the input too.

hey taz.. i went thru the exact same thing as you did with cloudy water..
I filled my tank originally with plain tap water to check for leaks in my plumbing to and from my sump to my DT. After my leak check i drained the whole thing and wiped out both my display tank and my sump (no chemicals at all)..

After that i started filling the tank with ro/di water that i made here at home.. I had absolutely nothing at all in the tank but my protein skimmer and return pump and after 2 days or so my water got cloudy.. I dont know why either :banghead:..

So, i just started to mix in my salt and i let that run for 2 days to mix up in my tank with my heaters on at this point..

I then put in my sand/live rock/base rock and a couple of shrimp 3 days ago to start cycling the tank and it is still cloudy but it has gotten a little better everyday..There is just a little cloudy water now after about 8 days from the initial start up of the tank..

I couldn't find any answers to why the tank was cloudy right from the beginning and i looked all over the internet..

There was Plenty of info why it gets cloudy after you throw all the sand rock and everything else in due to algae or not rinsing your gravel or sand properly , but i didn't find much help in figuring out why it gets cloudy with nothing at all in the tank.. I will keep you posted on how my turns out.. Im hoping for the best and it seems to be cycling the way it is suppose to right now.. GL

for me im just using a octopus 160 protein skimmer right now.. I wasn't sure if the charcoal would slow down my cycling of the tank by removing the ammonia to quickly.. I am going to get a reactor with carbon/gfo once im thru cycling

Back
Top Bottom