New Hitchhiker on my Live Rock...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ouch TC! Does Czara normally bite at you? We should compare stitches, lol. I'm hoping that mine are out before I go to FL next week. I've never been cut that deep so I don't know.
We have a MaCaw that lives down the road and when the weather is nice they put it outside in a cage. Took us forever to figure out what those loud awful noises were. But he's beautiful.

My Baby, 29yrs old, does not normally bite. Like I said I got stupid and overcut her toenail. I'll live. She is so sweet.
img_1098833_0_7bcafc777e0693c72f53b6e05db73034.jpg

Mitch just the other day when I was trimming her nails and clipping her wings. I have no Idea as to todays price. With captive breeding I believe they are allot cheaper today then when I got her. Can you keep Native birds in Australia?

Yeah! You can buy and keep captive bred Sulphur Crested Cockatoos and Gallahs (Pink Bellied Cockatoos). I've seen Scarlett and Blue and Gold Macaws for sale in random petshops. The Scarlet was huge.
If I was to buy a Cockatoo now it could well out-live me. They live for 80-90 years! :)

More like 50-60 years...with the pelleted diets that is.

Okay, let's get back to Carla's problem. Now what was her problem.lol

lol, I can't remember :) But I actually made it to the LFS with a jar of water all in one piece this time :) My nitrate needs to be a little better and my ammonia is at .25 so I have to wait to get any new livestock...so I just bought a bag of salt. Doing a PWC tomorrow after I do the last batch of mini-ball uniforms.

Oh, and I was telling him how much I liked my hermit crabs and that they were fun to watch and he told me that they only live 5 to 6 months!!! Is that correct? He did say that the one that noticed that has a red hairy butt will live and get fairly big. It's a Red Hairy Hermit? I haven't googled it yet. But I'm really sad about the other hermons :(

I don't know about the 6 month lifespan, I think I have a few that are alot older then that. If you keep putting in shells that are large enough for them to inhabit as they grow, I think they will live longer. I go to a set size and that's it Only because I don't want them any bigger.:(

A word about Acrylic tanks. I was on a South Africa forum and this guy posted some pictures showing the damage a hermit did to his tank. The surface was all scratched up from the munching from that hermit. It was really bad scratches at that.

No, I think it's enjoy your animal to it's most engagement, but know that it can do damage to your system.

I have found more critters on my live rock since I post this thread...

lots of bristleworms, which I'm used to seeing now so they don't freak me out as much.

Some kind of hair like worms that I've yet to figure out if they're good or bad. As soon as I can get a picture of them I'll add it to this thread.

Lots of amphipods, which are really cool to watch at night. When I shine my red light into the tank they remind me of "Fragle Rock" darting in and out of the holes in the rocks.

Just bought a piece of rock the other day and it came with some orange stuff that I'm pretty sure y'all will tell me is sponge :)

DSC_0436.jpg

But this I have no idea. At first I thought it was a string and I tried to pull it off (I have eye problems right now) :) But the kids told to stop pulling at it because it wasn't string. And it's actually grown a little since I bought it.

DSC_0439.jpg

The first looks like sponge to me and the second looks kinda like a gorgonia (sea whip). If not a sea whip, no idea what it is. Strange looking though!
Matt

I googled Gorgonia and you're right, looks simular. I guess we'll see when it gets a little bigger :)

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom