Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2004, 01:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

New Live Rock ??

Well, my LR has been curing in a 20gal with 3 maxijet 1200's, and a skimmer, for about 36 hours now. It turns out it was already cured before I got it. The rock was in shipping for 14 hours. It is 40lbs of some awesome Vanuatu LR!

So today I tested the water, and the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate were all zero. This was a little suprising to me, and I only use Salifert test kits, but I guess it was already cured, so there must not have been too much die off from shipping?? Does this sound right? Is the rock ready to go into my tank? (29gal reef, 1 year old) Im moving all my existing rock to the sump and adding the new stuff to the main tank.

Also,... the water that I used for the new LR in the 20gal, is that still good to use for water changes and what not?

Thanks for the help. All replies are greatly appreciated!

Old 07-10-2004, 10:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is possible that die off was minimal during shipping but there should still be *something* in the water. Did you ever get a reading for ammonia within the first 12-24 hours?

I would get a second opinion. Take a water sample down to the LFS and have them test it for ammonia and nitrite.

Quote:
is that still good to use for water changes and what not?
No, don't use that. Especially if the rock is cycling you will just end up with water that is high it nitrate.

Old 07-10-2004, 10:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

i feel ya ok to add the rock but pitch the water
Old 07-11-2004, 01:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks guys!

I did have the water going for a day before I put the new LR in, and I seeded it with about a half gallon of my reef tank water...i didn't think it would do that much, but maybe the water had enough bacteria in it to neutralize a spike??? Does this sound like a possibility...the rock really was cured pretty well before I got it. Theres not much color left on it, but the pieces are so unique...different from the common Fiji, i guess, much lighter, it looks like about 60 pounds instead of forty!

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com