Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

New live rock and aiptasia anemone.

I am currently cycling my new 55 gallon FOWLR tank and today picked up another 9 pounds of live to put in. I put the rock in the tank and shortly later noticed that I had some small anemones on two of the larger rocks. I was stoked! I started researching how to care for them and found that they are considered a nuisance and can even kill your fish!

What should I do, there are no fish in the aquarium yet, the tank has only been running for 5 days. Should I just pull those rocks and let them dry out? Or will the ammonia spikes, nitrite spikes take care of them for me?

Jared

Old 11-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

When I was doing my cycle I had about 9 or 10 pieces. When the cycle was done I had a few more but I put in three peppermint shrimp and within about 4 days problem was solved. In fact one of the coral frags I bought had an aiptasia on it and overnight one of the three must of got it because it's not there anymore. And now they are keeping my tank clean as well...bonus...

Steve

Old 11-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphendren View Post
... Should I just pull those rocks and let them dry out? ...
If you don't mind killing off whatever else is on the rock, that would definitely do the job!

Other option is to take the rock out and using a screwdriver try and pop that chunk of rock loose from the main part of the rock - removing the aiptasia along with its foot and the rock it's attached to. Do NOT try to scrape the aiptasia off... that will make matters worse. You want to remove the entire piece.

Since you're just starting to cycle the tank, I'd take care of it outside of the tank and not let it reproduce during your cycle. The ammonia/nitrites won't even make it flinch, let alone kill it.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
What should I do, there are no fish in the aquarium yet, the tank has only been running for 5 days. Jared
what did u meant by running...??? did u meant your tank in a water cycle process..???
thanx.....
Old 11-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdhalim View Post
what did u meant by running...??? did u meant your tank in a water cycle process..???
thanx.....
My 55 has been filled with salt water and the filter turned on for five days. I am tempted just to let these two pieces of rock sit in the sun on my back porch for a few hours, none of my other pieces have any hitchhikers that I have noticed. Yeah, I realize that I will kill off those pieces, but they will come back in time, and with no problem organisms.

Would a dwarf lionfish eat peppermint shrimp?

Jared
Old 11-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "Aiptasia Removal Methods"

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

have u cycle your tank...??? since u have sit your LR at your porch, there must be some dead bacteria..then u need to cycle back...u can read articles from this site on how to cycle your tank.....once your tank had cycle, you are good to go for fish....
Old 11-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

peppermint shrimp can be hit-and-miss. The best way is to remove the rock around the nem or use kalk. I've used Joe's Juice (a pre-mixed kalk) on both aiptasia and majanos. It works really well. Just use the provided syringe and put it on the oral disk of the nem. Be generous with it and you will see it contract and disappear.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
...I am tempted just to let these two pieces of rock sit in the sun on my back porch for a few hours, ...
Actually... a "few hours" probably won't kill them off. They're pretty resilient critters. A "few days" will probably do the trick though.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Lemon juice injected into the stalk. Kills them immediately

Tags
aiptasia, anemone, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com