New live rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I read that if you soak new live rock (it is cured) in a saltwater solution that is at a 1.030 you can get rid of hitchhikers. I also read that some people do a freshwater dip or a very low salinity level dip. I'm creating a small 20 gallon holding tank for when I decide to add anything or isolate issues. It would do me no good if I introduce parasites or pests. I guess what my question is, how do I get rid of these things before I begin to cycle this tank? Can the live rock along with live sand cycle the tank with no fish added? Thank you!

Only if it has a lot of due off. And I would just add it to the tank, but if this is a hospital or quarantine you shouldn't have rock or sand. Bare bottom with no decorations except for PVC pipes. It absorbs meds.

It's more for when I get something new, I can put it in there for 30 days to make sure it is disease and parasite free. My issue is that I don't want to start off with nasty things in the holding tank. I have a 10 gallon tank I can use for treating anything that gets sick (haven't used it for that yet thank goodness!) etc. Basically I'm setting it up as a regular tank.

Back
Top Bottom