Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2010, 05:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

New member with questions about stocking plan?

Hey guys I currently have a 10 gallon tank w/ 1 blue damsel, 1 emerald crab, 1 scarlet hermit, 1 astrea snail, 1 black turbo snail, and 1 blue leg hermit. This was a tester tank to see if I could do it. I have had it for several months and now plan on going to a 55-75 gallon tank. I was just wondering what you guys thought I should get as far as fish. I have no idea what will go well with what. I want all fish to be brightly colored. Also in what order should I introduce them to the tank? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Stocking

Which fish you choose depends somewhat on the setup youre planning. Will this be a FOWLR or Do you intend to keep corals as well ??

Old 03-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Another thing to factor in is if your going to move your tenants in the 10 gallon over to the new tank. As with anything in nature, your current pets may be a potential food source for certain fish. Here's a chart with marine fish compatibility to better help you decide:
Marine Compatability Chart

The general rule is to add the peaceful fish first, then the semi-aggressive, and the last will be your most aggressive fish.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Midas blenny for the bright yellow/gold. 2 blood red shrimp for the red of course. A pair of clowns (ocellaris) for the vivid orange and white. And maybe a firefish or two. Might have to ditch the damsel during the switch if he's a mean one.

Oops. My manners. Welcome to AA!!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
Midas blenny for the bright yellow/gold. 2 blood red shrimp for the red of course. A pair of clowns (ocellaris) for the vivid orange and white. And maybe a firefish or two. Might have to ditch the damsel during the switch if he's a mean one.

Oops. My manners. Welcome to AA!!
This will be a FOWLR tank, I think my damsel is mean lol. I have seen him attack the snails shells while they are on the glass. Also, is this list a good estimate on the max number of fish. I'm leaning towards a 75 gallon. I really want to keep the blue damsel if I can it is like an electric blue.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

some of the fish that I really want include royal gramma, yellow tang, blue damsel, clowns, blue hippo tang, flame angel along with the blood red shrimp, emerald crabs, snails. Anyone care to make a list including as many of these as possible? 75 gallon tank
Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You did it quite backwards as the 55 should have been the tester tank. The smaller the tank the harder it is as the smaller is less forgiving of water parameter swings and mistakes. You`ll find out as you go the 55 or 75 that it will be easier than the 10 gallon tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

OK, ditch the damsel you have, give up on the thought of either of those two tangs, and maybe even the flame angel. Both of those tanks are relatively small for large fish (or those that grow large). The new damsel should be added later as he'd likely bully newcomers to the tank. I'm not a fan of any damsel BTW.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 03-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
I'm not a fan of any damsel BTW.
not even clowns

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

OK. Clowns are the exceptions. Some of them are too mean for my taste too. I've had bad experiences with YSM, and clown tangs. Nasty buggers, they were.

And I know all damsels aren't created equal, but I will do the clown versions of them. Some clowns.

Tags
stocking, stocking plan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com