New "Nemo" Tank for my son

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KBCoggin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Marineland 5 gallon corner tank that was a guppy tank. However my son is tired of that (hes 2) and wants to have a "Nemo" tank (SOOOO FOWLR, I am NOT ready for reefs). I have been keeping freshwater fish for some time now, however this will be my first venture with salt.

Step 1:
Tonight I am going to start by cleaning out everything from the tank, then I will wipe everything down (including built-in filter) with vinegar. After that I will rinse it all out really well with fresh water and then dry it.

Step 2:
I have 10 lbs of live sand I am going to place in the bottom, on top of that 5-6 lbs live rock I am getting on my way home today. (LR may wait till tomorrow)

Step 3:
Turn the heater down to 75F and place in the tank (going to try and hide it behind rock).

Step 4:
Fill with saltwater and start filter / heater.

Will let that sit for a few days watching levels, everything stays stable then I will add a few cheap crabs and let the tank run for 1-2 weeks. Then add my Clowns.

TIPS?
Filtration
One LFS said to add a second filter to the tank, the other one said the built-in one should be fine. Opinions?

Water Changes
Both said to do 10% water changes "more often" @ every 2 weeks... Guppies breed like rabbits, there is a good 25-30 of them in that tank so I do water changes that often now, so no problem!

Evaporation
Water evaporation doesnt seem to be a problem, but I will pick up a 1 gallon bottle of RO water for evaporation replacement just in case.

PH Levels
How often should I check PH? I plan to test it 2-3 times a week for the first month or so, after it stabilizes how often should I worry about it?

Light
I have an 'after market' bulb in the tank, everyone agrees should be good for saltwater fish

Aeration
Should I put a small stone in the tank, or will it be OK without one?

Thanks for all your help everyone! I have been reading and watching the boards, you guys know your stuff!! (hence the post :brows:)

Hi, well i am afraid all of your questions are for not, because not one clown can live in a 5 gallon tank much less muliple. To answer them though..

The built in filter should be fine, but i recommend a HOB.

Checking PH isnt all that important while you have no fish. Just once a week to keep it stable.

Also, just pop a raw shrimp in the tank to cycle, instead of buying live crabs. Much nicer and easier IMO.

The light seems good enough too. If you arent doing coral, then the lights are just for your enjoyment

Evaporation, yea you have that covered

Andd about water changes, i recommend doig a gallon a week

For stock, just do some small shrimp like sexy shrimp or maybe 1 fire shrimp, and a neon goby

...not one clown can live in a 5 gallon tank much less muliple...

Anyone disagree with this statement? I'd hate to think that two LFS are trying to take advantage of me by telling me two Clown fish would do just fine in a 5 gal tank.

Nope, they need 30 gallons or more. One clown alone can live in a 15 gallon comfortably. You buy them small but they grow to be 4" long, some even bigger. The ability to keep water stability in a 5 gallon tank I think will be hard as well. In a 5 gallon tank you could do rock, some corals and some shrimp and snails. Someone may be able to help with small fish that could live in there, maybe some type of goby.

Hi, I also agree with everyone with what they're telling you. If your sticking to the tank you have I would recommend a couple of yellow clown gobys.

Hi, I also agree with everyone with what they're telling you. If your sticking to the tank you have I would recommend a couple of yellow clown gobys.
Yeah ,maybe a "clown" goby , but not clowns /nemos

Yeah, maybe a few scooter bennies. Or just upgrade to a 30g, you will actually find something like that is easier to keep stable.

Soccerdude said:
Yeah, maybe a few scooter bennies. Or just upgrade to a 30g, you will actually find something like that is easier to keep stable.

Scooter blennies? They're natural diet consists of pods. You wouldn't be able to keep ONE alive in a tank that small.

Sergie said:
Scooter blennies? They're natural diet consists of pods. You wouldn't be able to keep ONE alive in a tank that small.

My bad. I must be getting fish mixed up. I totally think you should upgrade. It's deffenetly worth it.

Back
Top Bottom