New Problem pls HELP asap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike3epanda

Aquarium Advice Freak
well as I said.. I am going to a vacation tommorow until thursday.. but now I'm not sure about this but I just bought a bunch of stuff from a guy on craigslist toay and I need to know wether it will still be okay if I dont feed them for four days... now heres my new setup

1 humu trigger
2 yellow tang
1 sailfin (something)
2 clownfish
2 chocolate chip starfish
4 hermits
3 turbo snails
120 lbs LR
75 Gal tank
coralife 48" halide w/moonlights & cycle timer
2 protein skimmers (1 prizm & 1 seaclone)
2 canister filters (1 fluval 204 & cascade 1500 i think)

Im going to feed them monday morning before I leave...
then when I get back on thursday night

is it still going to be okay?

thanks for all helps again

It shouldn't be a problem. Tangs will feed off the algae and the snails and hermit will continue to feed as they always do. I left my tank and the fish went unfed from Wednesday morning until Saturday evening. They were fine when I returned. I have a yellow tang, sailfin, coral beauty, maroon clown and a six line wrasse.

When you get back, you need to read up on those fish. You will be missing some snails and crabs soon. Possibly by the time you return.

Personally, I dont think adding livestock just before you are going out of town was a very wise move.

Personally, I dont think adding livestock just before you are going out of town was a very wise move.[/quote]

i know but I bought it on craigs 4 a deal and it was 1st come first serve
btw thanks for advice...

paid $640 for lighting, all fish, 50 lbs of LR, canister, powerhead, mag-float, digi-thermometer, and about 40 lbs of kent marine salt. you guys thik its worth it?

also i think they should be ok too but previous owner has been feeding it 3 cubes of that saltwater multi-pack everyday. you guys think they can get use to it?

well anyways.. back to my Q.... the previous owner has been feeding them 3 cubes of saltwater multi-pack per day.. so can they still last fr 4 days? and also im gonna try to feed them 2 cubes every other day when I get back.. is that safe?... ty

mike3epanda said:
well anyways.. back to my Q.... the previous owner has been feeding them 3 cubes of saltwater multi-pack per day.. so can they still last fr 4 days? and also im gonna try to feed them 2 cubes every other day when I get back.. is that safe?... ty

Your fish will be OK while you are on vacation. Just make sure you will not have any problems from evaporation. As far as feeding the every other day thing will be OK but you`ll need to put dried seaweed in on the off days for your tangs. They are herbivores and need to forage on their greens.

You might want to consider finding a new home for half those fish before you go on vacation. That trigger is pretty aggressive for your pretty passive tankmates. Those tangs are going to get too big for a 75 and having 3 in a small tank like yours will most likely cause aggression. Picassos shouldn't be housed in anything under a 150g in my opinion, and may injure/kill the clownfish (when my picasso was under 3" big he killed fish larger than a clownfish in a matter of hours).

I say its a 50/50 chance... Fish that arent fed are more agressive in my opinon... Also i agree that it is very possible for some snails and crabs to be eaten....Tangs should be fine if your tank is mature with algae, they will feed off of that as said...humus are very agressive i would consider getting rid of him for a different fish...They also create a lot of bio load.

well I got all the fish from previous owner and he says that they've been living fine for years... as for my clownfishes.. the humu has never bothered it, but it the guy said the sailfin tang is kinda having some problems with him.. also you guys say my yellow tangs are herbivores?.. I fed it brine shrimp and squid mix and they ate 'em crazy... well I guess I'll try to sell one of my yellow tang... btw I think they're all fully grown. I like the humu better so I think I will keep that.. also, before I left... one hermit already died and my starfish likes to eat snails for some reason.. so I guess nycfatcow is right.

ty again

mike3epanda said:
well I got all the fish from previous owner and he says that they've been living fine for years... as for my clownfishes.. the humu has never bothered it, but it the guy said the sailfin tang is kinda having some problems with him.. also you guys say my yellow tangs are herbivores?.. I fed it brine shrimp and squid mix and they ate 'em crazy... well I guess I'll try to sell one of my yellow tang... btw I think they're all fully grown. I like the humu better so I think I will keep that.. also, before I left... one hermit already died and my starfish likes to eat snails for some reason.. so I guess nycfatcow is right.

ty again

What size tank did the previous owner have? Because if it's anything less than a 150 I wouldn't entirely trust their opinion. And if it is something above a 150, fish are going to act very differently when scaled down to a small tank like a 75 g.

Triggerfish can be relatively peaceful then one day they'll snap and turn into these serial killing monsters they have the reputation of being. Mine was very peaceful until he killed two fish one night and we had to find a new home for him. There are countless other similar stories with triggerfish. They are also pretty active swimmers and need more room than a 75 g can provide.

Yellow tangs are herbivores. That doesn't mean they won't eat brine shrimp, mysis, other meaty foods - but they don't get the nutrition they need from those foods as they do from herbivore preparations so the vast majority of their diet needs to be food for herbivores. Not to mention even LiveAquaria which tends to underestimate tank sizes says a yellow tang needs at least 100 gallon. The sailfin needs 125g according to LiveAquaria.

previous owner had 75g tank... and he had this for about couple of years now.. I guess I will check it out for a week or two if things can work out or not... also I got another question, what kind of corals can I get and what is safe for my tank?.. I dont think I'll get it until I get all my new fishes setlled but it would be nice of things I can and cant get... my lighting system is coralife halide w/ 4 1watt lunar & 2150w blue actinic.

thanks

mike3epanda said:
...also I got another question, what kind of corals can I get and what is safe for my tank?..

I'm no expert on triggers, but I don't think any corals will be safe with it in there. They are never listed as "reef compatible".

mike3epanda said:
previous owner had 75g tank... and he had this for about couple of years now.. I guess I will check it out for a week or two if things can work out or not... also I got another question, what kind of corals can I get and what is safe for my tank?.. I dont think I'll get it until I get all my new fishes setlled but it would be nice of things I can and cant get... my lighting system is coralife halide w/ 4 1watt lunar & 2150w blue actinic.

thanks

Unfortunately with a trigger your coral selection is limited to nothing. If he does not flat out eat the coral, he will pick at it. They are curious animals and like to pick at things. All inverts are also an extreme risk. I haven't found a single thing my Picasso wouldn't eat including what people on forums have told me are the safest for aggressive tanks, including all types of urchins, cowry snails, Mexican turbo snails, extra large hermit crabs, you name it he has killed it. And again, he was only 2-3" big LOL.

ok.. guess gotta get rid of my big fishies... ima let go of 2 yellow tangs, 1 humu trigger, & 1 sailfin tang.. ima keep the clowns... then can I maybe get a list of what fish are reef safe and what type of corals i can get.. :p lol

mike3epanda said:
... then can I maybe get a list of what fish are reef safe and what type of corals i can get.. :p lol

Well... with your lighting, in theory, you could probably get just about any coral you wanted. However I wouldn't run out and start on the "expert only" corals, or corals that want pristine water conditions. There's a good database here...

http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/index.php?p=home

... for both fish and corals. LiveAquaria.com also has a good listing in their fish section as what's reef safe and what's not.

here's some pics of my tank with lunar lights on... some has flashes so it looks like its daylight... I tried getting a clear shot so I just put all of it up

img_819053_0_1110b7bcc8b2d0979483c737a09c7a5b.jpg

img_819053_1_e207aca7a055d1ff6a2f69c5bc195b52.jpg

img_819053_2_b8b0f615767043e61e7361fed64b95ad.jpg

img_819053_3_2dbb989b56aace15f6146b837f3ec151.jpg

img_819053_4_48e241aa4422037c639d08bc6a65dab7.jpg

img_819053_5_bbb2f26744afb1ac1d64dda62888b11b.jpg

img_819053_6_9819b24c29f1443b56b288dc45ac5783.jpg

img_819053_7_0b448e0df419a78a0cbdd3ab765dade6.jpg

img_819053_8_ea8363e4d56a1b4a1b4e67acc74020a7.jpg

img_819053_9_2a68d5f37babc96ed0aa88915056e4be.jpg

I know it looks bad & messy right now but I'm currently still looking to geta sump to get that clean cut

Thats a small tank.

I really wouldnt mind getting some updated lighting ill have tyo get pics up soon of my tank. I really cant complain it was free. its big and well. only 5, $3.99 fish have died since i had it.

Back
Top Bottom