Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2011, 03:58 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

We went into our lfs the other week and spotted a very unhappy porcupine puffer sat motionless in the corner of his tank. We told the owner about him and he just said "he's fine, just sulking. He won't eat for about a week either. Sometimes you just have to starve them out."
To be honest, I didn't believe him. It looked like one seriously I'll puffer. W went back the next week and he was swimming around, curious about everything and checking us out so the answer just seems to be to just wait it out. He's probably just a bit stressed from the move, but when he's hungry enough he'll eat
And on the subject of porcupine puffer size. I've just read an article in practical fish keeping magazine about tankbuster marines. Porcupine puffers are included because they can get to 91cm. That's about 3 foot. If you were to stand it with it's tail to the floor, it's head would reach to your waist. That's one huge fish!

Old 06-06-2011, 04:20 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

To give you some idea...
The puffer us the red one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2605392234.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	39363  

Old 06-06-2011, 04:38 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies86
We went into our lfs the other week and spotted a very unhappy porcupine puffer sat motionless in the corner of his tank. We told the owner about him and he just said "he's fine, just sulking. He won't eat for about a week either. Sometimes you just have to starve them out."
To be honest, I didn't believe him. It looked like one seriously I'll puffer. W went back the next week and he was swimming around, curious about everything and checking us out so the answer just seems to be to just wait it out. He's probably just a bit stressed from the move, but when he's hungry enough he'll eat
And on the subject of porcupine puffer size. I've just read an article in practical fish keeping magazine about tankbuster marines. Porcupine puffers are included because they can get to 91cm. That's about 3 foot. If you were to stand it with it's tail to the floor, it's head would reach to your waist. That's one huge fish!
I think ur thinking of Diodon hystrix. Which is often times called porcupine puffer or spot-fin porcupine puffer and they do get huge. I've seen ones 3-4ft in the Bahamas.
Hopefully what the op has is Diodon holocanthus. Which is much smaller and only gets to about 1ft. But is still refered to as porcupine puffer.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:55 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Pufferpedia lists Diodon holocanthus(porcupine) as needing a minimum of 120 us gallons.

Im no expert and have no experience with these but in the past ive known thepufferforum to be fairly good, So I thought Id share what theyre reccomendations are.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think the lfs only gave him brine shrimp. He will eat that with no problem. The other stuff he will eat some but he won't devour it yet like the brine
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek View Post
Really guy how do you know the tank didn't finish cycling? You just assume it's not. Find something better to do than try to call people out. He is in there and eating now and doing fine
Yeah!! Really pal. I didn't have to look hard in your previous posts to see that you just set up your first saltwater tank less than 2 weeks ago, so stop lying. The fish is too small for that tank and your tank is not cycled. Stop pretending to try and save face.

And NO, a 75 Gallon Tank is NOT big enough for a Porcupline Puffer. I don't care what you saw or what they had.

You left all the details out to ask the question, "Hmmm, me wonder why me new puffer not eating???" Well, I did my homework and found out why. You're welcome. Take the fish back.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks t j and to the other guy the tank had fw fish in it for 2 years with the filters that are on it now. Add the live rock and all the seeded bio material from my other tanks and it's going to cycle faster. Find something better to do with your time than to follow all my posts .
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 06-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

All I will say is that here we are supposed to help each other.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im sure we will never see that guy again.. some poeple just enjoy trolling... have nothing better to do.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I didnt want all that to happen. I just wanted to make sure I was feeding the right stuff. I shouldn't of even responded to him but just can't stand when people do that. He isn't the one testing my water how can he assume he knows.

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^

Tags
eat, puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com