New setup questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd like to grow coral and have fish. I'd spend 400-600 on lights but I'm starting with a 55g tank do I need lights that are 48 inches long? The LEDs I've been looking at are over $1100 but when I look at cheaper ones they say its only good for fresh water or its to small and not 48 inch. Ill post a link and see what you think of this LED light. Thanks

I live in Machias Maine on the coast ocean is 40 feet out the front door. We might get 20 days a year that's over 80 down here and it only last a few hours between the fog going out and coming back in. But my house stays cool even during our warmest days. Thanks

http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecoxotic..._Fixtures-Ecoxotic-XX06010-FILTFILDTN-vi.html

Is this the type of LED I should buy and how much light do I need for a 55g aquarium? Would I need two of these or is one enough to get the light coverage in the entire tank? In the world of LEDs how would you rate this light? 0-10? 0 being the worst led light ever and 10 being the best? In regards to a 55g tank

Thanks and sorry for all the questions I just want to buy stuff once and I want to make wise choices

Nick

Not sure about those ones. Total 50 something watts doesn't sound like enough to me. Check out the lighting your reef, best bang for your buck thread. Everyone seems to be going for the toatronics 120w dimmables, you would need two of these on a 55g

I live in Machias Maine on the coast ocean is 40 feet out the front door. We might get 20 days a year that's over 80 down here and it only last a few hours between the fog going out and coming back in. But my house stays cool even during our warmest days. Thanks

Wow, you're way Up Ther'ah... Ha ha... I went to high school in Bucksport but elem, middle sch & college in FL, spent most of my summ'ahs in Maine & winter breaks. Love it, I'd move back in a heart beat. And I don't eat lobster or pretty much any seafood!

Not sure about those ones. Total 50 something watts doesn't sound like enough to me. Check out the lighting your reef, best bang for your buck thread. Everyone seems to be going for the toatronics 120w dimmables, you would need two of these on a 55g
These are about the cheapest way to go and still be able to keep whatever you want happy.
Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-AL09 Dimmable Aquarium Coral Reef LED Grow Light (120W Output, Blue/White Ratio- 28:27; Two-Year Warranty): Pet Supplies

Can these be bought at a store or do I have to order online? I hate waiting lol

Back
Top Bottom