New setup questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaineSalt

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and am here to gain some knowledge and get advice. I had a 30 gallon fresh water for about 3 years but haven't had an aquarium for the past 5 years. I'd like to do a reef aquarium with reef safe fish. I went to buy my salt and live sand last week but the store salesman discouraged me because I didn't have $1000 worth of filters and I was only using a 30 gallon aquarium. I have a chance to buy a 55g for $40 used so I might buy that and start my aquarium. Right now I'd like to see what people recommend as the minimum requirements for filters and lights. I have to dig out my current equipment and once I do I'll list what I already have. I do know its all older equipment but it worked great with my 30g fresh water tank. Well thanks for any advice and I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Nick
Maine USA

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and am here to gain some knowledge and get advice. I had a 30 gallon fresh water for about 3 years but haven't had an aquarium for the past 5 years. I'd like to do a reef aquarium with reef safe fish. I went to buy my salt and live sand last week but the store salesman discouraged me because I didn't have $1000 worth of filters and I was only using a 30 gallon aquarium. I have a chance to buy a 55g for $40 used so I might buy that and start my aquarium. Right now I'd like to see what people recommend as the minimum requirements for filters and lights. I have to dig out my current equipment and once I do I'll list what I already have. I do know its all older equipment but it worked great with my 30g fresh water tank. Well thanks for any advice and I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Nick
Maine USA

I don't have a salt water aquarium but us usually you need from what I've seen is a canister filter a protein skimmer and and a sump. For canister filters you usually drill a hole in the back glass.

That's all I know you might be able to use a HOB but that's what I have picked up so far

They don't cost thousands either
Here is a link to some so you can see for yourself
http://amzn.to/13DdB1F

Also I found this series on YouTube an entire how to and what you will need .

http://youtu.be/UwRvd5kS4wY

First you have to decide what you want to keep. What fish, what corals? When you decide that, you can settle on one of the two tanks. You don't need to drill a hole in the tank.

Your coral choices will dictate what lighting you will need. Some corals need stronger lighting than others.
If you are sticking with the 30, you can get by without a protein skimmer, but I would definitely have one on the 55.
I have seen successful reef tanks(small ones) with simple HOB filters as the only mechanical filtration.

Tell us what tank you are going to end up with and then we'll give you lighting and filtration ideas.

I'm leaning towards starting with the 30g and spend my available money on filters and equipment. Then if I'm successful I can always start a 55 or larger down the road.

I've done some reading on reef safe fish but haven't done much reading on corals I guess I assumed coral was coral. Never should assume....hahaha...

I have another question both the 30 and 55 tank don't have an overflow is it ok to just pump the water directly out of the tank into the filter system under the tank then pump it back up?

I have a under gravel filter for the 30g is it worth using?

No. under gravel filters are old school and not for this application. The larger the tank, the easier it will be to maintain. Small problems or changes are big problems in a small tank. What are the dimensions of the 30?
You can use a canister filter if you like, if that's what you are referring to when you say "filter system under the tank" but you will have to clean it regularly....like weekly.
Corals are less tolerant than fish to things like high nitrates and phosphates. Canister filters trap particulate matter and end up being a nutrient sink in a short time.

Rock from the ocean, deemed "live rock" because of the beneficial bacteria on it, is a complete, natural filter in itself. I say complete because it actually has anaerobic bacteria deep inside it that change nitrate to nitrogen gas, which is expelled from your tank at the water surface. A pound to a pound and a half per gallon will be ideal.
There are places on line that sell dry rock and this can be used to save money.

So, what you'll need for the 30 is about 30-45 pounds of rock, a couple power heads for flow, some substrate if you like (make sure you get something with small grains, not large like gravel) and quality lighting, and you are ready to go.

You will also want to use good water, especially if you go reef. Tap tends to be bad for a variety of reasons. RO water (out of machines at stores) is not bad at 25cents per gallon. RODI is the best. Fish stores usually sell that or buy your own unit, which saves money over time.

What do you guys think of this info for a beginner salt water tank I'm planning on going with reef tank with a few reef safe fish?

55 gallon fish tank with stand, co2 system, 4' T5 high output lighting, custom glass top, filters, heater, UV light sterilizer. For $300 maybe I can get them down some.

Thanks

You don't really need the CO2 system and the UV sterilizer, but I may buy the CO2 tank and gauges off of you for my beer making hobby if you buy the set up. The 4 lamp fixture will allow you to keep everything but clams and sps.

You don't really need the CO2 system and the UV sterilizer, but I may buy the CO2 tank and gauges off of you for my beer making hobby if you buy the set up. The 4 lamp fixture will allow you to keep everything but clams and sps.

I was gonna say... ya need CO2 for FOWLR? But didn't wanna butt in where I have no expertise. So I started Goggling it, then found a YouTube of a Jungle Bubble tank (basically a large fish bowl, way over stocked but w/ less stock, pretty cool)! Got totally sidetracked & forgot to come back here. I'm glad mr_X chimed in. I don't even use CO2 in my planted FW tanks but Ima keep-it-simple kinda person.

Pro-clear Pro 150 Wet/Dry Filter (MSRP $330)
Coral life super skimmer 125g (MSRP $150)
CPR Large AquaFuge2 Refugium (MSRP $150)
Marineland Reef Capable LED lighting System 24"-36" (MSRP $150)
Coralife 48" Aqualight Pro - Professional Series 150 Watt HQI (MSRP $799)
TMC V2 Refractometer (MSRP $50)
hana instruments calcium Checker digital (MSRP $50)
hana instruments alkalinity checker digital (MSRP $50)
Air, Water & Ice Ro Typhoon III Extreme 150 four stage RODI (MSRP $280)
Hydor THEO Heater 300W (MSRP $30)

I can buy all this for $700 which is a little more then I planned on spending at this time. What items in the list would you suggest to buy in order of importance? The refugium, skimmer and wet/dry filter I might not get because I have a 20 gallon tank I was planning on turning into a sump and I want to make my skimmer.

Or could you guys list what equipment you think are most important for a reef tank with fish and ill shop in that order.

Thanks for all the help.

Nick

You don't want a wet/dry in a reef
You want a better skimmer than a coralife ss
you definitely don't want a 2 x 150 watt halide fixture (worthless IMO)

You definitely want a quality protein skimmer
a sump can be made out of a plain glass tank for cheap
lighting is very important. I would suggest you put some thought into that.

So when setting up a reef with fish what am I looking for in the lights?

So when setting up a reef with fish what am I looking for in the lights?

LED... the other lights are old school. They heat up the tank undesirably & the bulbs are expensive to replace which has to be done yearly. I'm looking at $200 to replace my bulbs, thinking of just getting LED fixtures.

You would need to figure out exactly what corals you intend to keep and then buy lighting accordingly. If you are just thinking soft corals and possibly some LPS, then moderate lighting is fine, but if you want SPS, clams, and anemones, you'll need something stronger.

Pro-clear Pro 150 Wet/Dry Filter (MSRP $330)
Coral life super skimmer 125g (MSRP $150)
CPR Large AquaFuge2 Refugium (MSRP $150)
Marineland Reef Capable LED lighting System 24"-36" (MSRP $150)
Coralife 48" Aqualight Pro - Professional Series 150 Watt HQI (MSRP $799)
TMC V2 Refractometer (MSRP $50)
hana instruments calcium Checker digital (MSRP $50)
hana instruments alkalinity checker digital (MSRP $50)
Air, Water & Ice Ro Typhoon III Extreme 150 four stage RODI (MSRP $280)
Hydor THEO Heater 300W (MSRP $30)

I can buy all this for $700 which is a little more then I planned on spending at this time. What items in the list would you suggest to buy in order of importance? The refugium, skimmer and wet/dry filter I might not get because I have a 20 gallon tank I was planning on turning into a sump and I want to make my skimmer.

Or could you guys list what equipment you think are most important for a reef tank with fish and ill shop in that order.

Thanks for all the help.

Nick

You don't need all this stuff to get started, you can buy it along the way as you set up your tank. I've left out the unnecessary items at the moment. It will be awhile before you even add fish much less corals, etc.
--Skip the Wet/Dry filter
*SKIMMER--Coral life super skimmer 125g (MSRP $150)
*REFUGIUM--CPR Large AquaFuge2 Refugium (MSRP $150)
*LIGHTS--Marineland Reef Capable LED lighting System 24"-36" (MSRP $150)
*REFRACTOMETER/HYDROMETER--TMC V2 Refractometer (MSRP $50)
You could skimp for now & buy an inexpensive Hydrometer but you'd end up spending even
more money later so if you KNOW you're
gonna buy a Refractometer, might as well buy
it now.
--Skip the digital instruments
--Buy saltwater from the store until you get your RODI system.
*HEATER--Hydor THEO Heater 300W (MSRP $30)
it's summer time... your a/c set below 76
degrees?? Or does your house get cool at
night?? If yes, then you need the heater. I'm in
FL stays very temperate in houses here b/c of
a/c & I am originally from Maine, 50 degrees at
night in the summer & 85 during the day, no a/c at my dad's house.
*Get some Live Rock, Base Rock & sand or other substrate--looking at a few dollars per pound per gallon of water the tank is to get started.

Good luck!! HTH!

Wattage per diode mostly. Optics also increase potency by channeling the light. What do you want to spend on lighting? What options would you like? There are fixtures that light the tank and do nothing else and there are fixtures that make lightening storms and cloud cover and just about anything else you want them to do. The latter being much more expensive, but both will grow corals.

Back
Top Bottom