New sponge in Aquaclear.... Effects?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Packohotdogs

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi everyone,

So The sponge in my AC 20 was getting simply nasty, and was impossible to keep clean. It was literally brown... Permanently. My trate were steady at 20ppm but my phosphates were REAL high. Started to get some green hair algae.

I had a spare laying around so I switched it out with a fresh purigen.

I have heard that the sponge (8 months old in my case) can hold tons of BB. Is this true? will changing it affect my tank? I am also running biomax the filter.

Thanks!!!
Jeff

If you have some LR and you're running Another filter, you should be fine. The LR and other filter should be able to make up for the lost BB. I change the sponge in my AC periodically. You should alternate changing them, though. So don't ever change all the sponges in both filters at once. :)

Thanks guys!!

I don't have live rock, but live sand, and coral skeletons that have become live.

PLus, only one filter on my 12 gallon.

I only have two clowns cleaner shrimp and hermits. Hopefully they'll be ok. I'll check levels tonight... Firefish went back to ease bio load in December.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom