New starfish - Protoreaster nodosus - Chocolate Chip Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhunter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We picked up the little guy yesterday from petco, we checked the salinity levels and temp requirements and everything is right on where he needs it. When we put him in he just chilled on the crushed coral and as soon as the light was off he was off to the races. He scaled the side of the tank and is now hanging up in the top corner of the tank with an arm sticking out of the water. I'm assuming this is a natural behaviour. Does anyone have any pointers for his care?

this is a very mobile star. It will scavenge for most if it's food. Good choice for a FOWLR. Bad choice for a reef. They will park on top of the corals and munch away. If you have LR in your tank make sure it is stable. they can cause massive rock slides while climbing around.

hanging at the top is common for a lot of stars thier just feeding used to freek me out cause i didnt know what the heck it was doing
it will also eat corals and some other goodies so beware

When I came home last night, my chocolate chip star was munching on one of my mushrooms. So, into the sump he went. It was a surprise gift from my wife, we've had it about two (2) weeks, and this is the first time we've witnessed it eating. There is some good news, my wife wants me to set up another tank for the starfish and 'some little reef fish.'

he's pretty cool so far, he hangs out at the top at night and holds one arm under water so he's completely submurged. So far we haven't seen him eat, but I'm going to try to feed him some krill tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom