new sump/refugium underway!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nafuzy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys!! So I got the 110 up and running with the volitans and the maroon so far ( they love each other; the clowns always trying to snuggle him) and im currently building my 55gal sump unit instead of the 20. I qantas to ask; my constant water level all the way across through the (now about 28+ inch ;) ) will be about 8.5 inches high. Is that okay/enough??? I know I should have asked before siliconing... I will have 3-4 inches at bottom of matrix ,denitrate LR and LR rubble, then 4-6 inches of bioballs in and out of water level, then a 1-2 inch gap where the water drips from.my prefilters. Is the 8.5 " of water level legit for a 55gal unit???

Anyone..?? I sent posted this at work on my phone I can see alot of errors in that. The 28" applies to the refugium. But the 8.5 inches refers to the water level of the whole tank before the return section

As long as your return pump and if you have an in sump Skimmer can operate at the 8.5" then you should be fine. Another good thing is with that low water lv, your 55gal sump can take quite a bit of overflow from your tank in a power outage.

Thanks super. How deep of water do skimmers generally need to be in..?? Never had one. :/

Well if and when I get a skimmer it definitely won't have enough water in the return chamber so maybe a hang on the back skimmer?

No problem. Just an fyi. My coralife 65 Skimmer needs 7" of water, but my return pump needs 5". And don't forget about you min water lv for your heater as well.

Also I forgot to mention that I have my Skimmer in the supply chamber coming from the dt. So in a sense I'm filter the dirty water coming from the dt, then it flows into the refugium, then to the return. Hope that helps.

Actually i'm slightly confused....the supply chamber....?? Is that somehow between the overflow box and the sump unit..?? Or do you have drilled holes instead of a box. Oh wait....you have one of those tanks with the back a separate compartment but still part of the tank don't you.

Yes yes yes please!!!!!!! I loooooove seeing members tanks, setups, sumps etc. Likewise I will try and get a pic up of my new sump/refuge still silicone drying

Wow kio that's awesome! Very nice; alot like mine. May inquire as to the various different chambers and their purposes???? Out of curiosity. :)

You guys impress me so much, I couldn't even begin to think about doing something that DIY. Looks great and probably cost alot less than my prebuilt sump did. :-D

Chambers for skimmer and overflow, water goes through LR to be filtered, slow flow over chlurpa and mangroves, set a higher chamber to keep junk from getting pumped back into tank and last chamber has return pump.

Here are my pics for you.

My 15gal sump I made.

img_1621373_0_60f90333c78c8445abb7b749de3c2be6.jpg

the box in the far right corner is where I put my filter sock that i filled with carbon. It is also the spot where the DT water flows into.

and the sump with skimmer, heater and return pump.
img_1621373_1_45a68eadeafa9b3d8495f5e0b86fa113.jpg

and the CPR Overflow box.....I freaking love this thing.
img_1621373_2_342ade2ce3c23e2834de993fa561f219.jpg

Very nice. Thank you guys. When I get home from class Ill try and throw some pics of mine up. I made my own overflow box. :) works amazing and cost less than 10$ ;)

Back
Top Bottom