New SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure if it's a bad thing but If you don't want him in there put some bait in a glass and tilt it on the LR so he crawls in, then he can't get out. Have you read bad things on them? I know the all black ones are bad news but I'm not sure about this little guy. Btw my emerald crab has one large claw, no big deal :)

I have just read that some can be quite destructive to the LR and that they may nip at coral / smaller species. He is cool, it's just quite hard to ID him to know if he will be a threat, I'll try and catch him tonight so I can get a good pic of him!

I have heard the emerald crabs are great tank mates, maybe I should just paint him green!

Amm and nitrite still really low, it seems to be taking ages? I am only taking readings every other day, could I have missed the cycle? The tank still looks really clean with no algae.

I also have a blurry shot of my crab, not a great picture but some one may know if he is bad and should out him,?it looks like the only friendly crab is the emerald, and this little pest is defo not green!

Attachments

• image-3720797291.jpg
    image-3720797291.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 157
If you read any amm or nitrite then you aren't done. If it is zero then perhaps it is. If you already had live rock then it is possible it was a really quick cycle (note, I haven not read your thread so I'm making a couple assumptions).

That crab has black claws. Crabs with black claws typically = bad.

Crab trap set - tall glass with a nice piece of raw tuna........

Well I bought my Refractometer and consequently had a good discussion on this, I have just taken my tank readings:

Salinity: 28-30ppt
Amm: 0ppm (or v close to 0.25?)
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm

How is this looking, I have followed all the advice and think this has gone quite well, it looks like i have cycled and I can add my CUC at the weekend?

P.S. - 3 crab traps with no success - im sure he gives me the claw from some hole!!!!!!!!!

Any feedback???? I'm getting well excited at the possibility of adding cuc!

Can't wait, does the salinity look ok, it's hard to get a definitive answer from the web?

Here is my first fish, a firefish! He us settling in well to my tank and is enjoying the copepods, he has been filling his face all day!

Just a pair of false clowns to go and my 20 gal will be complete!

Attachments

• image-1486742706.jpg
    image-1486742706.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 145
Here is an update and quick question, I have introduced two paired black and white clowns and I caught the crab! There seems to be brown algae of the sand and rock, is there an obvious producer of this. I an due a API phosphate kit in the next few days....

its most likely diatom and it comes with almost every new tank. A picture will help confirm it. If it is diatom, it should burn itself away in awhile

I can't seem to add pics at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it is what you say, just give it time I guess...

Back
Top Bottom