New SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Walkerrobin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,
First thanks to everyone who posts on this site, the information is great for a keen and excited novice like me!

I am one week into setting up my tank, it's a 96 litre tank with bio & Mach filtration, I have added my live rock substrate and am checking levels as and when. When will be best to add the clean up crew and the two Clown fish, I plan to avoid coral as this is my first tank. One more thing, are artificial coral ok for clowns and where is best to get some?

Cheers,

R

I would say wait on the CUC and Clowns for now, need to make sure the tank is cycled. What are you adding for an ammonia source? If you don't have a source (uncooked shrimp or pure ammonia) then there is no way to say if there is bacteria in the tank to handle the waste from the inhabitants.

Thanks, I'll try the raw shrimp, when is best to add this? And from then when is best to add cuc then clowns?

Thanks again.

Add the shrimp now. Keep it in a net or panty hose or something so that when you have to remove it you don't have to scoop up all the pieces.

Don't add any CUC or clowns until you know the tank is cycled. Do you have liquid test kits? Look for a spike in Ammonia (test every day) and a spike in nitrIte. Once the ammonia hits 0 and the nitrIte hits zero, you should start seeing some nitrAte. At this point you should be able to remove whatever is left of the shrimp. Add in a pinch of flake food or something else and test the next day to make sure there is no ammonia. You should then have a cycled tank and can add your stuff!

Edit: Read up more here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/3/1/Cycle-your-salt-tank/Page1.html

Thanks, I have paper test kits and standard ph liquid kits, I'll get on the raw shrimp straight away. Thanks.

I would recommend you get the liquid tests for Amm, Nitrite and Nitrate because the paper strips are not reliable.

Hi!

Shrimp has been added and i have ordered the liquid kits! - what kind of stable readings should i be looking for in due course?

Temp is holding at 25, that should be ok for rock and the live stock after the cycle is sucsessful?

Cant wait and a big thanks again!

25c should be good. Some increase up to 26-27c if no live stock (some will even go higher).

What you are looking for first is a spike in ammonia (4-5 ppm is good). Then you are going to look for a spike in nitrIte. Then finally you are going to look for zero ammonia, zero nitrIte and a spike in nitrAte.

After that you should be pretty good for livestock.

I think it is always good to keep up a build log and progress. That way others can also chime in on what how they think it is going. Don't forget, everyone likes pictures!

First pic! Raw shrimp is hiding at this point!! Tell me if you think there is enough LR.

Attachments

• image-3180540695.jpg
    image-3180540695.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 262
Hi,

This is an update from a SW rookie listening to all the valuable info on this site and thought it 'may' be useful to starters. I started my tank (20 g) two weeks ago with LR and live sand and introduced my raw shrimp one week ago, temp us holding at 25. Following advice my amm is at 0.25 and should slowly be rising (testing every day???) I will be buying some more small rock this weekend and rearranging the scape. At this moment I plan 2 orange clowns a goby and cuc.

Pictures of start up to follow....!

Hi all,

If your interested I have attached some further pics of the tank, Im two weeks in and have added some more live rock. Amm is at .25 and should be rising, tell ne what you think!

Attachments

• image-161784819.jpg
    image-161784819.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 187
  • image-1229234388.jpg
    image-1229234388.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 204
That is beautiful! I am curious, how do you get the blue look to your water?

Back
Top Bottom