Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My other tank is a seahorse species tank that I may ultimatly move into the 36g and get rid of the smaller tank they are in now. If i do that, I can use the new wet/dry pump from the 55g tank for the 36g and than put the seahorses in there. I feel like im making this more complicated than it should be! haha

Old 06-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Technically there's nothing benificial about using old water. The only thing you'll be transferring in the water are nitrates that are floating around. Always best to start with new water. Just because it did work doesn't mean it always will. Always best to be safe. Most would say not to use the same gravel as well. For the same reasons. Nitrates. I'd rather help to be extra cautious.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

As the others have said there is no carryover of the nitrifying bacteria in your water. The bacteria resides on your surfaces like your LR and substrate and also your tank surfaces. When I went from my 55 to my 125 I brought over my water and used new water for the rest. The only thing I would not bring over is the substrate. I would buy new dry sand and rinse it really good and put it in the tank. Your old LR will seed any new LR you add and depending on how much it is you might not see much of a cycle if any. Good look on the transfer.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

The benefit of using as much of your odd water as possible is to limit the shock to the inhabitants when switching. Some fish and coral do not like there environment to change ,even when it is for the better
Old 06-25-2011, 11:26 PM   #15

If i use the water from my 36g for the 55 what water do I put in the 36? The fish have to live there till the 55 is ready.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:29 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's why I'm saying just use all new water. It's easier, less hassle, all you have to do is cycle. Just seed some rock and the use it in your 55. Leave all the water. That's just me.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #17

I agree with you Sergie. You said to seed rock for it,to do that I can use the 36+ pounds of live rock I have had in my current tank for months and put it in with the 55g during the fishless cycle or wait until the cycle is completed before adding it in?
Old 06-27-2011, 04:05 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would take most of the rock out of the 36 and then add some more live rock or even base rock in the bigger tank. And as someone stated before, start whatever filter you will use on the 55 in the 36 first to seed it with you tank bacteria. Transfer the seeded filter and most of your rock. Hopefully with all that rock and the seeded filter you'll skip a long cycle. Just keep up with water changes on the 36 while your other tank finishes cycling. After that add the fish slowly and the rest of the live rock slowly as to not have ammonia spikes. Should be smooth sailing from there. Keep us posted.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #19

Awesome, Thanks Sergie!! You have been a big help. The tank is set up in my house with water and live rock. I will keep you all posted!! Hopefully everything survives the switch.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No problem that's what we're here for.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com