Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New tank

Ok, so I have been researching starting a 55 gallon tank. My dillema is that I already have a 36gallon that has been up and running for along time and is in perfect condition with perfect water quality. I don't want to take a risk in starting a new tank and killing all of my fish and rock. If I end up deciding to start the 55g, does anyone have any advice on the best way to go about it so that the fish dont get really stressed out.

Thanks!

Old 06-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaGirl View Post
Ok, so I have been researching starting a 55 gallon tank. My dillema is that I already have a 36gallon that has been up and running for along time and is in perfect condition with perfect water quality. I don't want to take a risk in starting a new tank and killing all of my fish and rock. If I end up deciding to start the 55g, does anyone have any advice on the best way to go about it so that the fish dont get really stressed out.

Thanks!
Buy the 55 gallon and start a fishless cycle.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So are you tranferring your 36 to the 55 or starting the 55 from scratch?
Old 06-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I guess either way you'd go about it, whether transferring or starting fresh, try to cycle it first. I had a TOTAL LOSS when I transferred mine because I assumed it wouldn't cycle. I was wrong. I wish I would've discovered this site before then.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #5

I was debating taking the 36 gallons from my fish tank and putting it into the 55 and than filling the remaining with cycled saltwater from my LFS. My LFS sells water out of there tanks where they keep their corals. Would you recommend just starting the 55 from scratch and than once cycled, transfer my live rock and fish in? I dont want to take rock out and leave the fish with nothing for weeks while the new one cycles.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm not sure I understand, but transferring water won't help your cycle. Water isn't cycled, the media/substrate/rock is.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would cycle the new one with some of the liverock from your 36 and buy some new liverock cause you'll probably need more for the 55. Once its cycled add the rest of the liverock slowly as to not spike anything. Your fish will be fine without liverock for a day or so. Add some PVC for them to hide in while they're rockless.
Anyone correct me if there's an easier way.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What kind of filter are you going to run? Go get it and set it up in your stablished tank for 2 weeks or so, also add some more rock and gravel or sand. That way in 2 weeks you can take all that extra material and use it as seeding material in your new tank.

As previously said transferrig just water wont do you any good in the beneficial bacteria (BB) aspect. Seeding material on the other hand can definately reduce your cycling time to maybe just under 2 weeks.

Thats what happened with my 29 gal, yours might take a bit longer, or not, but thats the way to go. Then follow recommendations for fishless cycle the process will be the same just that you'll have a lot of BB to start with. Hope to hear how it goes.

Edit: not intended to correct, was writing before last post was published.

Youtube Channel: http://youtu.be/sj0bVYblrZI
andresdeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I moved everything from my 55 to a new 75 the trick was the refugium and hooking up the new filteration to the 55 a week or 2 before switching. Use everything water and gravel rocks and even the dirty stuff on the bottom.That was a year ago I did not lose one living thing ,even my mandarin.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #10

Im running a wet/dry on my 36 gallon that does up to approximatly a 75gallong fish tank. The tank that I plan on purchasing actually comes with a wet/dry as well. I could ultimatly just use the wet/dry that I have on my tank now for the new tank. So if i purchase the new one and set it up with water and sand and some rock from my 36g, using my wet/dry that is on my 36 would be the best way to go? I do not plan on keeping the 36g running as I already have 2 tanks running in my house! (3 is too much work).

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com