New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScubaGirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so I have been researching starting a 55 gallon tank. My dillema is that I already have a 36gallon that has been up and running for along time and is in perfect condition with perfect water quality. I don't want to take a risk in starting a new tank and killing all of my fish and rock. If I end up deciding to start the 55g, does anyone have any advice on the best way to go about it so that the fish dont get really stressed out.

Thanks!

Ok, so I have been researching starting a 55 gallon tank. My dillema is that I already have a 36gallon that has been up and running for along time and is in perfect condition with perfect water quality. I don't want to take a risk in starting a new tank and killing all of my fish and rock. If I end up deciding to start the 55g, does anyone have any advice on the best way to go about it so that the fish dont get really stressed out.

Thanks!

Buy the 55 gallon and start a fishless cycle.

So are you tranferring your 36 to the 55 or starting the 55 from scratch?

I guess either way you'd go about it, whether transferring or starting fresh, try to cycle it first. I had a TOTAL LOSS when I transferred mine because I assumed it wouldn't cycle. I was wrong. I wish I would've discovered this site before then.

I was debating taking the 36 gallons from my fish tank and putting it into the 55 and than filling the remaining with cycled saltwater from my LFS. My LFS sells water out of there tanks where they keep their corals. Would you recommend just starting the 55 from scratch and than once cycled, transfer my live rock and fish in? I dont want to take rock out and leave the fish with nothing for weeks while the new one cycles.

I'm not sure I understand, but transferring water won't help your cycle. Water isn't cycled, the media/substrate/rock is.

I would cycle the new one with some of the liverock from your 36 and buy some new liverock cause you'll probably need more for the 55. Once its cycled add the rest of the liverock slowly as to not spike anything. Your fish will be fine without liverock for a day or so. Add some PVC for them to hide in while they're rockless.
Anyone correct me if there's an easier way.

What kind of filter are you going to run? Go get it and set it up in your stablished tank for 2 weeks or so, also add some more rock and gravel or sand. That way in 2 weeks you can take all that extra material and use it as seeding material in your new tank.

As previously said transferrig just water wont do you any good in the beneficial bacteria (BB) aspect. Seeding material on the other hand can definately reduce your cycling time to maybe just under 2 weeks.

Thats what happened with my 29 gal, yours might take a bit longer, or not, but thats the way to go. Then follow recommendations for fishless cycle the process will be the same just that you'll have a lot of BB to start with. Hope to hear how it goes.

Edit: not intended to correct, was writing before last post was published.

I moved everything from my 55 to a new 75 the trick was the refugium and hooking up the new filteration to the 55 a week or 2 before switching. Use everything water and gravel rocks and even the dirty stuff on the bottom.That was a year ago I did not lose one living thing ,even my mandarin.

Im running a wet/dry on my 36 gallon that does up to approximatly a 75gallong fish tank. The tank that I plan on purchasing actually comes with a wet/dry as well. I could ultimatly just use the wet/dry that I have on my tank now for the new tank. So if i purchase the new one and set it up with water and sand and some rock from my 36g, using my wet/dry that is on my 36 would be the best way to go? I do not plan on keeping the 36g running as I already have 2 tanks running in my house! (3 is too much work).

My other tank is a seahorse species tank that I may ultimatly move into the 36g and get rid of the smaller tank they are in now. If i do that, I can use the new wet/dry pump from the 55g tank for the 36g and than put the seahorses in there. I feel like im making this more complicated than it should be! haha

Technically there's nothing benificial about using old water. The only thing you'll be transferring in the water are nitrates that are floating around. Always best to start with new water. Just because it did work doesn't mean it always will. Always best to be safe. Most would say not to use the same gravel as well. For the same reasons. Nitrates. I'd rather help to be extra cautious.

As the others have said there is no carryover of the nitrifying bacteria in your water. The bacteria resides on your surfaces like your LR and substrate and also your tank surfaces. When I went from my 55 to my 125 I brought over my water and used new water for the rest. The only thing I would not bring over is the substrate. I would buy new dry sand and rinse it really good and put it in the tank. Your old LR will seed any new LR you add and depending on how much it is you might not see much of a cycle if any. Good look on the transfer.

The benefit of using as much of your odd water as possible is to limit the shock to the inhabitants when switching. Some fish and coral do not like there environment to change ,even when it is for the better

That's why I'm saying just use all new water. It's easier, less hassle, all you have to do is cycle. Just seed some rock and the use it in your 55. Leave all the water. That's just me.

I agree with you Sergie. You said to seed rock for it,to do that I can use the 36+ pounds of live rock I have had in my current tank for months and put it in with the 55g during the fishless cycle or wait until the cycle is completed before adding it in?

I would take most of the rock out of the 36 and then add some more live rock or even base rock in the bigger tank. And as someone stated before, start whatever filter you will use on the 55 in the 36 first to seed it with you tank bacteria. Transfer the seeded filter and most of your rock. Hopefully with all that rock and the seeded filter you'll skip a long cycle. Just keep up with water changes on the 36 while your other tank finishes cycling. After that add the fish slowly and the rest of the live rock slowly as to not have ammonia spikes. Should be smooth sailing from there. Keep us posted.

Awesome, Thanks Sergie!! You have been a big help. The tank is set up in my house with water and live rock. I will keep you all posted!! :) Hopefully everything survives the switch.

Back
Top Bottom