new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonesy99

Aquarium Advice Activist
Could someone recommend some starter inhabitants for a fully cycled 100litre tank. (inverts and fish)

Clown gobies, neon gobies, most watchmen gobies, pistol shrimp (don't trust with other shrimp), firefish (prone to jumping - make sure your tank is covered), ocellaris or percula clownfish, red legged hermits, blue legged hermits, scarlet hermits, skunk cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, peppermint shrimp, coral banded shrimp (don't trust with other shrimp).

Make a list of what you want for your final stock, but be prepared to whittle it down. Most people make the mistake of adding too much to their tanks. Regardless of size, they all fill up fast with livestock! if you post your likes, we can help you make wise choices.

Do you have the lighting for any corals?

This is another thing, what particular lighting for corals would you recommend (and anemonies) also what kind could include here. Are there any tang i could have, an what about damsels, i hear theyre pretty hardy specimens. Oh oh and funanchu lions aswell, i know about their care but could i include them here?

For lighting is say a 4 bulb t5 HO would be good for anything in a tank that size. As for the fish tangs need a much larger tank and the damsels are hardy but imo I would stay away from them and chromis because for their size they are quite the bullies

Edit* and the fu man chu really should be kept in a slightly larger tank although you could get away with it but any fish even slightly smaller then him is potentialy food

I'm afraid your aquarium is too small for a tang. In the wild these fish form large schools and roam over large areas to graze. When confined to a small aquarium, they tend to stress very easily to the point of no longer eating and often developing diseases. For these reasons, most people will recommend a tank at least six feet long (about 1.8 meters) for tangs.

Similarly, you need an aquarium about twice the size of what you have for a fumanchu lionfish. They are also difficult to get to feed many times, and once acclimated you would not be able to keep one with shrimp or any fish small enough to fit in its mouth.

Damsels, while extremely hardy are also terribly aggressive and territorial with the exception of the chromis group. A single damsel would likely claim your entire aquarium as his own and harrass any other fish to death. Chromis ought to be in a school which will require a lot of room in your tank, so I wouldn't recommend them either.

As far as lighting for corals and anemones, I would think a 4 or 6 bulb T5 HO (high output) fixture would work. Metal halide lighting isn't out of the question either. It really depends on what you want to keep and how much you're willing to pay. Good LEDs are considered the best technology out there right now, but the ones that can sustain corals are pretty pricey. (Do not buy a Marineland "Reef Capable" system or a system you haven't seen in person advertised on the internet- they look like a good value but the feedback I've heard indicates they do not provide very intense lighting and are ultimately a waste of money.)

Thanks, btw what starfish would you recommend for this tank?

Honestly I wouldn't. Most traditional starfish are iffy and don't do well long term in aquariums. Some guys do get lucky, but the vast majority don't. If you are dead-set on having a representative of the sea stars, get a brittle or serpent star (but not the green - they are known to eat fish). These guys tend to hide during the day though.

Back
Top Bottom