New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cb24

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm upgrading my 55g tank to a 90g tank, so if i try and put most of the water from my 55g in the new tank would it need to get established all over again? I'm simply just transferring everything I have to a bigger tank including my filter system. So would everything have to re-established? Or am I fine?

You will need more Rock and sand which you will need to cycle so I'd cycle before moving thing over, but I'd add a few pieces of rock from the 55 to seed the 90 with BB

Would I be able to transfer all my livestock right away?

The water doesn't have beneficial bacteria, it's the rock and sand that is necessary and their probably isn't enough right away. I would establish it first then transfer.

When I did a new tank I was told it needed to be cycled before putting anything in there. I took couple my rocks out of my other tank and sponge from my filter to seed. It did do a small cycle that was very noticeable. Took it a week before I added fish just to be safe. Hope that helps you some. :)

So would everyone agree wait about a week before adding fish? And should I transfer the water in the old tank to the new one?

And also use distilled water or RO water? Could you get RO water from a local like stop and shop or market basket?

I wouldn't say there is a standard amount if time to wait, it's more about whether or not enough bacteria has grown to cycle AND be ready for the bio load. It shouldn't matter as long as its RO or DI basically just not tap. Try to avoid anything that will add unnecessary elements or minerals ( that will promote algea growth)

So pretty much just give it as much time as it needs? And not to put them in right away?

Do you need to add any chemicals to the RO water or DI water?

I'm sure you are going to want more rock in the 90, so what I would do is buy that rock now, and fill that tank with salt water and cycle it. Then after the cycle is over, you can safely add your existing rock and livestock. If you are planning to put the 90 in the same spot, you can put those furniture mover coasters under it and sit the tank just a couple feet away. Then you can break down the 55 and slide the 90 right in the spot with ease. I would drain it about a 3rd of the way first....then slide it in place, and fill with your 55's water and rock...

So if you had to guess how long until I could put my livestock in what would you say? And no chemicals needed if I use RO or distilled water?

You need salt, but no- no chemicals. It would take as long as it takes for the tank to cycle. A few weeks to a month, give or take.

So either RO or distilled water would be fine?

Either RO or DI works. It has already been filtered and it's safe to use in making your salt water. You don't have to use RO or DI, but if you use anything else you have to use a chloride remover. Not to mention anything else will have all kinds of other things that will encourage the growth of algea. It's easiest to use RO or DI.

The point we are trying to make is this, it is BEST to let the tank establish completely before adding anything. It is the safest way to introduce fish or coral or inverts. If you add them too soon, the bacteria may not be able to keep up with them and toxic levels of nitrites or ammonia could harm them. Even if you cycle the new tank, you will still want to add the fish slowly as well. Just because there is enough bacteria to say it is cycled, doesn't mean that there is enough bacteria right off the bat to add 12 fish( just throwing out a number).

Also, going from 55 to 90 may take longer than you have experienced to cycle since its so much large. That being said, it can also be safer for the fish because ammonia and nitrite may not build up so quickly

That I can't answer. There have been several threads to answer that. I haven't got a chance to read them. There is a difference between them but I can't remember what it is. However, I use RO from the grocery store and my tank seems I be doing just fine.

Back
Top Bottom