New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ethan7474

Aquarium Advice Regular
Why does my tank read 0- ammonia 0-nitrite 20 ppm nitrate ph - 8.0.. It's a saltwater 30 gal tank. I barely got it set up like two and a half weeks.. It has 20 lbs of live rock and live sand.. Has it cycled or hasn't started??

Why does my tank read 0- ammonia 0-nitrite 20 ppm nitrate ph - 8.0.. It's a saltwater 30 gal tank. I barely got it set up like two and a half weeks.. It has 20 lbs of live rock and live sand.. Has it cycled or hasn't started??

Likely cause by die off from the live rock. Dose some ammonia to 4ppm and if you read 0ppm ammonia and nitrite after 24hrs then it's cycled.

Would it really cycle that quick? I have a similar situation but with freshwater. (0, 0, and 10 nitrate). I have live plants and a driftwood with live plants.

Would it really cycle that quick? I have a similar situation but with freshwater. (0, 0, and 10 nitrate). I have live plants and a driftwood with live plants.

In a saltwater tank, if you only use pieces of live rock then chances are you might not have much of a cycle especially if the rock was cured.

If you used a lot of used media then the same could apply for freshwater. Either way I'd still dose ammonia to 4ppm and watch what happens after 24hrs.

I know with the Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride , it is a drop per gallon. I'm not sure if the Ace Hardware ammonia is exactly the same. I would start slow, add a little, test to see where you are at and adjust accordingly. Better to be low at first and move it up, than the other way around.

I know with the Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride , it is a drop per gallon. I'm not sure if the Ace Hardware ammonia is exactly the same. I would start slow, add a little, test to see where you are at and adjust accordingly. Better to be low at first and move it up, than the other way around.

I added ammonia yesterday and today my ammonia level is the same... What does that mean?

I added ammonia yesterday and today my ammonia level is the same... What does that mean?
What do you mean its the same?Did you test after adding the ammonia?What were ur readings?What are ur readings for Nitrite?Don't be discouraged it takes time and patience.Good luck.:fish1:

If it stays the same, then you don't have enough BB to change it to nitrite or nitrate. It will happen though. As others have said , it takes time.

What do you mean its the same?Did you test after adding the ammonia?What were ur readings?What are ur readings for Nitrite?Don't be discouraged it takes time and patience.Good luck.:fish1:

The ammonia level was the same .. Ammonia level was at 2.0 ppm.. Thanks

The ammonia level was the same .. Ammonia level was at 2.0 ppm.. Thanks

So I tested the water parameterS and the ammonia level went down from 3.0 to .25 and nitrite level is at at .50.. Finally progress!

Back
Top Bottom