New tank - algae ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neilperk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys. Brand new here. I've had my 75 gal tank for a month now. I was out of town all week but everything was running as normal all week. Pumps and filters constant, lighting 8 hours a day, uv working constantly. I was going to run and get my first fish tonight when I got home but when I checked on it, there appears to be algae on the live rock and back wall of the tank. Is this ok? What do I need to do to get rid of it? Chemicals, algae eating fish? Please help. Thanks! Neil

You should invest in a clean up crew before adding fish. I suggest adding turbo snails. The only problem with them is they eat algae too fast lol. You should also get some hermits just for a change from snails.

Ummmm, first you need to find out if you are cycled or not. What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. If you are not cycled anything you put in there will likely die. Also, dont need to have lights on during cycle. If you had them on and you are cycled, that is likely what caused your algae.

Thanks guys. pH is 8.2. Ammonia, nitrite an nitrate are all 0. Didn't know about the lighting during cycling. Thanks for all the great information.

Was the tank cycled before you left for the week? Very odd that you have 0 nitrates. I would dose the tank to 4ppm ammonia and see how it processes it. If ammonia and nitrite go to 0 in 24 hours, then I would say to add a fish or CUC. If not, you need to cycle the tank and leave the lights off and possibly the algae will go away on its own.

It is probably your phosphates that are causing the algae bloom. You should test your phosphate. I would bet that they are at least 0.5 ppm. You shpould also test more than phosphate and nitrate. Test ammonia, phosphate, nitrite, and nitrate. Test these every time you run a test. If your phosphate test positive with what ever the ppm may be, this would mean that you are only in stage two of the nitrogen cycle. If you do not understand the nitrogen cycle let me know and i will explain in depth. It would be pointless for me to explain it if you already know. If you don't pm me or i can post it within the thread. It is not odd at all that your nitrate is 0 ppm. This is because you have not completed the cycle yet, which means you are either in stage 1, 2, or 3. The reason I think you are in stage two is because of the algae. Phosphates feed algae and encourage the growth along with your lights. But your lights are not the problem. So test those four things and let us know the results. I will give more info. from there.
Good Luck!

Pretty bold statement "your phosphates are feeding the algae". Dont even know if the tank is cycled or has phosphates. Many things can cause algae. Bottom line is we need to know if the tank has been properly cycled. All else is mute at this point.

The nitrate levels were at 10 ppm last week. They are very low now... probably 3 ppm, something just a hair darker than 0. I've been testing every couple days and I'm certain I am completely cycled.

As for phosphates, I got a kit last night and tested. I was at .25 ppm.

I bought a few turbo snails and two starfish to help with the algae growth. This morning, one of my live rocks is wiped clean. What an exciting process.

What kind of impact will the CUC have on ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? Do I need to wait at least another week before adding a couple fish? The starfish are personal preference... the snails were purchased to deal with the algae. Do you think 3 is enough for now? I don't want them to starve.

Attachments

• image-673658673.jpg
    image-673658673.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I added a pic of the live rock and snails in the thread above. You can see a little bit of the remaining algae off to the side. I meant to add a pic yesterday but couldn't upload pics from the web based version on my phone. Downloaded the app and now I'm good to go.

Nitrogen cycle explained:

You start the cycle by adding proteins to the system in the form of food. Food is eaten or rots and converts to ammonia. Bacteria convert it to nitrites and then nitrates. Algae consume nitrates and convert it back into proteins as more algae.

Cuc participate in 2 stages. They can eat leftover food and poop hastening the conversion to ammonia or they eat algae converting it back to ammonia.

In either case they 'liquefy ' nitrogen and create something your skimmer can remove as well as remove ugly algae.

Ingy said:
Nitrogen cycle explained:

You start the cycle by adding proteins to the system in the form of food. Food is eaten or rots and converts to ammonia. Bacteria convert it to nitrites and then nitrates. Algae consume nitrates and convert it back into proteins as more algae.

Cuc participate in 2 stages. They can eat leftover food and poop hastening the conversion to ammonia or they eat algae converting it back to ammonia.

In either case they 'liquefy ' nitrogen and create something your skimmer can remove as well as remove ugly algae.

Agreed. However there is another stage that is often looked over. This being stage two, phosphates. This is the stage you are in. It is the longest and most difficult stage. Just simply let it run it's course and test in a week. The CUC will help with the process. I would not suggest adding anything else until your phosphate has vanished.

Back
Top Bottom