Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New Tank Build Thread! 55 Gallon tank upgrade!

Friends!

As some of you know, I got a 29 gallon fish tank that I had up and running for about 3 months. Well two days ago I had a Clown Fish jump out of my tank and I was upset. I went that night to the pet store and bought a Coral Beauty because my wife liked the fish.

Today I went out and bought a 55 gallon upgrade for the Coral Beauty. I got the tank and the hoods for a good price. I still will be taking a month and half before I can start the process of putting together this tank. I am saving for the Stand, and I need 20 more pounds of live rock, and 40 more pounds of live sand. I got 50 pounds of live rock and 60 pounds of live sand now.

The plan I have is simple. I want to move all my equipment over to the new tank. I only need to buy one power head. I got one already, so I just need another.

Here is my few questions, because I need help. I never just moved things over before and I want to plan this now so I can do it as easily as possible.

Questions:

When I set up the 55 gallon to start the cycle, I will only have 20 pounds of live rock in it and 40 pounds of live sand. I will not have any filters are skimmer on it as the equipment will be needed still for the 29 gallon. Will the extra power head be enough to keep the water moving for it to cycle?

Once the tank is cycled, how do I proceed to move over everything? Will it be OK to do just one big move with all the live rock and fish?

The live sand I have in my tank now, do I need to rinse it? Should I just rinse it out with dirty cycled tank water and put into the 55 gallon tank?

Will the equipment and rock that is already cycled be good enough to handle the bio-load of the move?

My fish line up as of right now is (I have them in my 29 already)

1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Flame Hawkfish
1 Blue Spotted Puffer
1 Coral Beauty

I said before that I would only want the four in the tank and that's it, but this 55 gallon is big! What else would you suggest to go in the tank with that line up?

Thanks for all your help guys!! I am excited and can't wait!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2231.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	150518  

Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

woohoo! nice, 55 is a good size. fills a wall, I also have a 29, seems much more petite.

I personally like my chromis for the brilliant color that flashes blue-green-sparklywhite as they school. nano fish, low waste producers.

do you like blennys or gobys? my other favorites for their cute faces and personality. so many to choose from, dragonettes are cool too. I had a scooter blenny that was awesome!

Old 02-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't like Chromis. :-p I don't know why, but they just seem plan. I don't want to over crowed my tank. I really bought the 55 for the Coral Beauty. I might get only 2 more fish for a total of 6. I think a Goby would be cool. So that might be on my list.

I still need help on how to do this transfer. Will all my live sand and rock I have now help me skip the cycle process of the 55? Just switch over everything quick and fast? Being my filter already has the Bactria in it?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pajama cardinals are awesome. I think they'd be good in that tank. 6 line wrasse is a good choice! My brother has had one for a couple years and he's a splendid addition to his 55.

I'm excited to be following along!

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the chromis are the dumb blondes of my tank, nobody really needs them around but they sure do make for a little eye-candy all dressed up and waify so they barely need a beer to get em drunk and hyper. Cheap too! All look identical lol

But yes, I agree quality over quantity! I'm giving mine to help a friend cycle a tank so I can try a puffer

My lawnmower blenny is beautiful and has whimsical eye lashes and a deep gaze like an A&F model
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3345956378.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	150681  
Old 02-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I were transferring everything I would

Put the water from the old tank and live stock in to a Rubbermaid tub or trash can. Rinse the sand with fresh ro/di water. Out the sand in the 55g then the old water , live rock and live stock. No need to cycle the tank with all the old stuff.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just keep the livestock separate and minister for any mini cycles from the disruption
Old 02-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Would it be a good Idea to put in a Bottle Bactria product to make sure the move is not so bad? Like Dr Tim's One & Only??
Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
Would it be a good Idea to put in a Bottle Bactria product to make sure the move is not so bad? Like Dr Tim's One & Only??
In my experience absolutely. I used it and so will my partner for his tank in a month or so. Good shiet

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, build, build thread, gallon, tan, tank, tank build, tank upgrade, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com