Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-21-2003, 12:24 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
My longnose never bothered anything that was in the tank before it, added after, it was fair game, but I never saw it mess with hermits one way or the other.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 01:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
hey don't worry man i don't think your flaming anyone and i'm not trying to flame anyone either i'm just stating what has worked for me thats all. but as i was reading this i can't help but notice this:
My fish know exactly when I will feed them and show it by all going to the FEEDING spot of the tank and waiting for me.. Yes I feed them at the same times every day..My fish sleep in the same spot everyday
isn't that kind of the same thing as those pshycology experiments where you feed the make the dog ring a bell and they get to eat. if you feed your fish the same time every day in the same part of your tank eventually it is not memory it is just action=reaction. kind of like if i don't breath i won't live so without thinking my body has decided to take a breath. now is it really my memory or is it just a reaction?

They also know who I am And If they want Petted.. Yes one of my perculas likes to be petted like a dog he will rise to the top of the tank when I am near it.
i have a clownfish in my ten gallon i literally got no more than 3 days ago that comes to the top of the water whenever i'm in the room and lets me pet him too. it is really weird. but i don't think it is memory. i'm sorry i don't mean to flame anyone. i am just pointing out something that has worked for me

"The brighter you are, the more you have to learn."
-Don Herold
kribbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 01:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
i cant remember where i read it but there was an article that said fish have a memory of only 3 seconds. Their brain is too small to remember more than that.
biotoxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 12:59 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
I guess my tank is too small for the yellow longnose butterfly.

But I am puzzled as to why my tank is too small for the auriga/threadfin butterfly. According to liveaquaria.com, the yellow longnose grows to 9 in, but the auriga only grows to 5 in. That's the same size as a longnose hawkfish. So why is my large enough for one 5 in fish, but not another?

Is this merely an issue of butterflies needing more swimming space, like a tang?
leafyseadragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 02:59 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via AIM to dacoolguychris Send a message via MSN to dacoolguychris Send a message via Yahoo to dacoolguychris
u guys are thinking of goldfish... goldfish are not only the dirtiest fish there are but studies somewhere.. proved they are the dumbest too... I mean all these stories of fish pulling at thermometers.. banging heaters against the glass.. splashing around the top of the water to get attention.. U have to give the fish a little more credit than only 3 seconds.. have u guys ever seen a new fish in your tank not be afraid of a net.. then when u either have to take it out.. or accidentally catch it in the net.. ****.. from then on it runs and hides at the sight of a net..

Personally i believe fish can remember stuff for more than 3 seconds.. anyways.. off topic..

I have a 29 gal tank..
w/25 lbs live rock in it..
30 lbs aragonite sugar fine sand
13 red legged hermit crabs..
5 astrea snails (i'll never get anymore cause they commit suicide too much.. hehe... but seriously i find them on their backs at least once every week or so..)
5 cerith snails (best snails i've seen)
2 "false" percula clowns
1 bicolor blenny
1 dwarf flame angel..
2 hawaiian feather dusters
and a CB shrimp..

Filter on it is a refugium i made of a 10 gal tank.. (3 nassurius snails/3 cerith snails... grape caulpera.. 2" sand (w/2 lbs of live sand).. and 3lbs or so of tonga branch..)
also a tronic 100 watt heater .. oh and a cheap little coralife skimmer(need to get a way better one soon...)

I also hooked up a gravity fed auto top off system on the fuge. (under the tank)

The tank has been running for 7 months now.. (just added the dwarf flame a week ago.. and everything seems fine)...

I am soon going to be making this tank a mini reef.. but many of people have told me that i have overstocked my tank and i say.. well it looks good.. fish are healthy.. and all seem happy... and most importantly my water parameters are constant and safe.. w/a water change every 2 weeks

So I say overstocked is when your fish fight too much and are not happy with their surroundings.. there is no general rule of thumb when it comes to fish in the aquarium.. because ideally you'd only want to keep one fish per 60 gals.. but that is not cost effective nor pretty at all..

Just my 2 cents :P
dacoolguychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 05:15 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus
That's the same size as a longnose hawkfish.
No it's the same length, the body mass is tremendously different. FWIW, I have seen many Auriga Butterflies, larger than 5".

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com