Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2003, 03:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

New tank, deciding on inhabitants, please comment

My 37 gal FOWLR tank has finally cycled, and I'm ready to add fish.

Here is what I am thinking about:

1 false percula clown
1 longnose hawkfish
1 yellow longnose or auriga butterfly

I'd like to know if

1. These fish will get along with each other, and with my hermit crabs.
2. I am overstocking the tank.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 10-21-2003, 03:55 AM   #2
cj10488

I would say that you are definetly overstocking the tank and that would cause problems.. As far as compatibility they should all coexist however fish all have their own personallities so caution should always be used with any fish.... I would seriously rethink about the stocking levels of the tank.. Me personally would suggest not getting the Butterfly for sure...

HTH,
James
Old 10-21-2003, 04:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
i don't know if you completly overstocking the tank. it depends on your filtration and your clean up crew. kind of explain your setup and we can help you a little more. personally i have a 65 g with a purple tang, yellow tang, 2 tomato clowns, goby and a bi colored psuedo. i'm sure almost everyone would tell me i'm overstocked but i've had the tank running for just over a year and a half and so far no major problems.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:09 AM   #4
cj10488

But overstocking also Means that For a Healthy and Happy Fish it needs a Fair amount of room for swimming.. having those tangs in a tank the filtration may be able handle it but so could we if we were locked in a closet and fed.. however would we like it.. No!!! That along with the handling of the wastes in a tank all play a factor on overstocking a tank.. Thats just MHO..

HTH,
James
Old 10-21-2003, 04:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
understood, but at the same time who is to say what is to small and what is to large. my fish are all entirely healthy and seem happy. i think that any fish is going to feel like it has been jammed in a closet when you compare it to the ocean. however the way i look at it is that most fish have a memory span of just less then a few seconds, so by the time they make a complete circle around the tank they have almost completely forgot where they just came from. so they do it again and again without ever knowing that they where in the same spot twice. thats how i look at it.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:29 AM   #6
cj10488

Well I can say that for memory span my fish sure have alot more than just a sec or 2.. My fish know exactly when I will feed them and show it by all going to the FEEDING spot of the tank and waiting for me.. Yes I feed them at the same times every day.. They also know who I am And If they want Petted.. Yes one of my perculas likes to be petted like a dog he will rise to the top of the tank when I am near it... My fish sleep in the same spot everyday.. So fish do have quite a memory... I am not trying to argue as to what is right and what is wrong as there are many ways of keeping fish.. I have just stated my opinion and that is that its too many fish for such a small tank.. They may all live for a long time and all but are more suceptable to diseases due to stress... I have stated my opinion as I am sure others will too. What you do is solely up to you... I am sure however that most others would feel as though you are overstocking the tank as well... Its all about morality and your best judgement... General Rule of thumb would allow you to have approx 8" of Adult size fish total in your tank not including the tail.. I hope that I did not sound rude and I am not trying to Flame anyone I am just solely stating my personal opinion..

With that said I am outta here,
HTH,
James
Old 10-21-2003, 10:37 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

The butterflies get to big for a 37g tank. Consider a dwarf angel instead.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 10:48 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
I think the butterfly as a juvenile would be ok. Like most of us, you are probobly gonna want another, bigger tank in the future. So if the plan includes and upgrade later, if you got a baby butterfly, I think you would be ok. Otherwise, I agree with reefrunner, try maybe a dwarf angel. Gives great color and doesn't get as big.

(Just don't try shrimp with a hawk )

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 10:59 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

IMO, the long nose is not too bad with decorative shrimp, they will put a hurting on some grass shrimp, but most decorative shrimp get too large for the longnose hawk to eat. Very cool fish, I had one many years ago, I'm planning a larger tank next year and you can bet a longnose and a flame hawk will be on the stocking list

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 12:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the comments everyone.

As for my setup, I started with 12 lbs of LR, and added 31 lbs of base rock. Substrate is 40 lbs of aragonite sand. I have a Bak-Pak 2R skimmer, with an Aquaclear 402 and a Maxi-Jet 600 PH on opposite sides of the tank.

I have no plans to get a larger tank in the immediate future, so the 37 gallon tank is it until I get further along the learning curve.

I knew about longnose hawkfish eating shrimp (none planned for my tank), I also read in Fenner's book about an Arc-Eye hawkfish eating 25 hermits in 24 hours. So I just wanted to make sure a longnose hawkfish would generally leave hermit crabs alone.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com