new tank here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

border324

Aquarium Advice Regular
just started my new tank after sreading for the past 6 months or so
theres what i have done now. how do thinking look?
55g long salt water tank
40 pounds of playsand
45 pounds of live rock
2 maxi jet power heads
sea clone 100 protine skimmer
XP2 fliter ( w/o filter pads just chem.)
2 4foot floresent bulbs
150 watt sub heater
water test kit

thats all i have now when do you think i could start up my tank.
thanks for reading
any help would be greatfull
michael

Good job- It will work out cool for you I am sure.

What kind of play sand went in there, do you remember the brand? Just wondering if it was silica type or aragonite.

THe 150W heater is a lil bit shy for a 55. A 250-350W will do you a lot better especially if you have any kind of temp swings or low evening temps in the house.

Keep us posted. Let it cycle completely if you have not already done this

Where did you get the live rock BTW?

agreed about the heater, but instead of getting just a 250-350W, i'd just buy another 150, maybe even higher, that way if one goes out, you'll always have the other. But so far everything else looks good to start. Good luck my friend!!!

THe 150W heater is a lil bit shy for a 55. A 250-350W will do you a lot better especially if you have any kind of temp swings or low evening temps in the house

IME I personally have the same tank however I found that I needed a 350 Won Pro Heat heater to keep my tank at a steady level.. I tried a Ebo Jagar 200w and a Proquatics 150w and it had a hard time.. I plan on having dual Won 350's on my tank.. just in case one goes bad..
Keep us posted. Let it cycle completely if you have not already done this
Yes please do.. It will save headaches in the long Run.. I am sure you read the Fishless Cycle method in the articles section correct? If not I would suggest it as well as the QT article..

HTH<
James

my only comment is on the lights. what type of critters do you plan on having in the tank? those bulbs will be just fine for just fish. You LR will be "ok" but you would probalby like the way the rock flourishes with a little more light. If you plan on ever having any corals you will need MUCH more light. Other than that and the heater comments the others have already made, you're off to a good start!

I moster agree with BilliZ. If you are going for a FOWLR, then your tank will be pretty good, except as billy said, your LR will be "ok". Also about the heaters, I agree about getting a 250W-300W in addition to your 150W. I currently have a 300W in my 29 G refugium for my 45G main tank, and the temp in there is completely kept constant. It just occured to me that you don't have a sump.. so adding a second heater may look a bit ugly in there, but if you add LR coverigng the back of the tank, you won't see them. Try to get a bit more LR as that is a great filtration method, plus you then could use the XP2 as a mechanical filter. A lot of people here just use LR and a Protein skimmer as their system. The two maxi jets for water movement gets a huge plus. Its AWESOME for the fish for water quality issues and for a semi-exercise toy. The protein skimmer, again its awesome that you have one for your tank... I know its a pretty expensive thing for something pretty simple, but it works wonders for your tank, and saves a lot of hassle for the future in my opinion, especially if you are going for FOWLR set up. WHat saltwater tests do you have? This is vital depending on which set up you are trying to go for.

i am putting it together as i type i have just bought 100 pounds of play sand( do i rinse it first?) and would it hurt to use all of it for my sub.? i just want sea horses and live rock that it . or just fish with live rock.
need help thanks
michael

i am putting it together as i type i have just bought 100 pounds of play sand( do i rinse it first?)
If it is southdown or Yardright there are many members that just empty it into the tank.. And IMO that is how I would do it as well..
and would it hurt to use all of it for my sub.?
It would be about a 4" DSB so it shouldnt hurt to put in all 100#s I would personally use all of it If I were going to have a DSB..

hTH,
James

ok i put it all in i added some of my crushed florida coral in with it also and mixed it up. it is so cloudy. its been about 20 hrs and still no change. how do i go by getting it cleared up. i have my xp2 runnin and a power head to move the water so my filter can get it. is that cool i still have not mixed in my salt yet. waiting till it clears up.
what type of florescent would be great for LR and fish?
thanks
michael

Back
Top Bottom