New tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmlorfam

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all! I am currently in the process of setting up a new system. My current system is a 55g FOWLR. I am upgrading to a 75 FOWLR w/ a sump (30 gal). I am building my own stand and when I am ready will begin the transfer. My question is this......if i am using water and substrate from my old tank will my new tank still have to cycle? (since its twice the capacity) Not sure how safe this will be and was wondering if there is a formula on cycled water vs new? thanks in advance.

Use new sand. If you stir up the old sand enough you can release ammonia which will basically start the cycle all over again. When you transfer the LR, wait 24-48hours and test the parameters just in case a mini cycle starts again (it shouldn't since the LR is cured).

I had a 36 bow and a week or so ago i transfered my fish into their new 75 . I got alot of differ advise saying i could just move the fish over n alot of ppls sed i couldnt ! I Decided to just do the move and my fish r doing gr8 i started off with new sand and mix the other 40 gl i needed to fill the 75 . You will need more rock tho !!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom