Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

New Tank set up

Hi

I have just purchased a 3 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot aquarium for my new house and although I will not be able to set it straight up I am itching to get started on it and start stocking etc. What I am wondering today though is can I find a cheap way to fill the tank as I understand it will be somewhere around 80 gallons of water. Can I use rainwater and add the salt if it will be just a fish only with live rock set up to start?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can use rainwater if you want to kill your fish.

Use RO water, either make it yourself with an RO/DI system, or purchased from an LFS. Rainwater has too many contaminants.

You will then need to cure your rock for a few weeks: Curing Live Rock For Saltwater Aquariums - YouTube

Once your rock and sand are cured, and your tank cycled, you can add fish. I let me tank cure and cycle for about 2 months. It was probably longer than needed, but I like to err on the side of caution.

Read this article: Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

I also highly recommend purchasing these two books and reading them from cover to cover:
Marine Aquarium Handbook: Beginner to Breeder by Martin A. Moe | 9780982026212 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble
The Nano-Reef Handbook: The Ultimate Guide to Reef Systems Under 15 Gallons by Christopher Brightwell | 9780793805723 | Hardcover | Barnes & Noble

Old 06-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry yes, i know about the cycling etc as I have a 30 gallon running at the moment with a valentini puffer two clowns and some shrimp. was more just trying to work out if I could save some money using rain water to set it up rather than buying a Ro DI unit or purchasing 80 gallons from my lfs as these are both expesinve thank you for letting me know lol.

in that case my next question would be i know a fox face or a kole tang should be fine in an 80 gallon but as mine will not be a 4 foot tank do you think one or both of these should still be ok? also anyone got any cool suggestions for an 80 gallon with a valentini puffer two clowns and some shrimp.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The purchase price of 80 gallons of RO water from your LFS will probably come close to the price of an RO unit from BRS, which will continue to supply water for you and thus be less expensive over time.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah that was what I was thinking, do they just connect up to a tap and you leave the tap running on them to produce good water from the tap water, may be simple question but ive never seen one running before just pictures on the internet?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is how I have mine set up (sorry for the vertical video, I'm going to reshoot with a better camera):

My RO/DI Installation - YouTube
Old 06-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, i will check it out later unfortunatley I am at work at the moment and they block youtube in our office. but thank you for the post
Old 06-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You're welcome
Old 06-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just watched the video very useful thank you I will have to look into getting one set up soon! Anyone got any input of if the 3foot by 2 foot by 2 foot be ok for a kole tang or fox face or any other stock suggestions?
Old 06-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

also, I know you shouldn't use soap or bleach or anything when cleaning a tank but as mine will be second hand and I dont want to kill my fish should I just use hot water to clean it out or should i use something in the water?

Tags
set up, tan, tank, tank set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com