new tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you top off your tank to the water level you want to keep it at and the salinity you want it at make a mark on your sump in sharpy at the water line so you always know how much RO water to add back in.

If you still have ammonia then i would hold off adding the clean up crew still. It will probably just kill most of them.

I don't have a sump so I mark the water level on the tank. The LFS told me not to add any fish or crabs to the tank so I just added more rocks.

Well Well...I think my skimmer is "breaking in" the foam is coming in at a slow but acceptable rate. The water in the skimmer is a light shade of green. In addition, I think I have a baby starfish in my tank it is always on the glass.

Well, that and a pound of potatos will get you a meal. Just kidding, you will be amazed at the life that you will find in your tank in the coming months.
check here:Live Rock Hitch Hikers

Okay….so here is my game plan since I already fill my tank with water. I will let it continue to run and once the water condition is optimal. I will introduce a few damsels and maybe hermit crabs. Then if all goes well after a month I should be in a much better financial position to buy some:

Live rocks, Powerheads

And then if that work our well introduce a few more fish.
Any suggestion / Comments?

i bought my powerhead 425 off marinedepot.com for 34 shipped. they have some 750s for 43 shipped check them out there great to buy from.

its a hydro kano nano or some crap like that lol.
Well after 7 days my tank water is so clear it sometimes look like there is no water inside. I had the LFS check the water quality yesterday and they said everything is good. I am thinking about putting some hermit crabs today to help with the cycle for another week.

and id wait 21 more days man. i started my tank 3 months ago and i went in there a week in to the lfs and the readings were perfect but then i had a spike in all area's so id wait honestly.

how much are you buying your LR for per pound? i still havent bought any and i need to badly.

Today is day 14 of my new FOWLR tank. I haven't bought my much needed test kit yet. However, I went the the LFS and my PH is 8.0, all other chemical level had a 0.0 reading except my ammonia which is at 0.5 I put some hermit crab in the tank today. I will get the ammonia level tested again within the next few days.

Cycle is not over yet. Ammonia will go down and nitrites will go up followed by Nitrites going down and your nitrates going up. Without a test kit you are missing one of the most informative part of this Hobby. As well as giving you time to pratice taking water readings.

In addition, I think I have a baby starfish in my tank it is always on the glass.

Do they look like these. They are just Asternia stars. I have many in my tank.

100_0616.JPG

I saw a dead hermit crab in my btank this morning when I was already dressed for work. Now I am worried that this may cause my ammonia level to raise.

It may be just the crab molting. No need to worry about it.

Great, are these your first fish? That is a very exciting step in our hoppby. Keep tabs on your ammonia/nitrite levels for a few days. I don't think you will have a raise in it, but it's a good habit to get into when adding fish.

The concern I have with these chromis is that they are always hiding behind the rock. I see them swimming from a distance but as soon as i approach the tank they go hiding.

Back
Top Bottom