new tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Based on what I am reading I am thinking I could continue to use the Eheim canister for a few months and then as my budget permits me, I can go ahead and buy a wet/dry filtration system.
I did not say to not buy or that you did buy. The statement about made it seem to me that you where thinking about it. :)

oh ho ho. Crystal clear water is WAY more difficult to obtain then you might think. Lots of carbon, skimming, and mechanical filtration will do it, along with beastly amounts of flow to keep things turning over. Is it cloudy or are there still particulates floating around?

Today is day 5 and my water is getting much clearer. However, I am having problems adjusting my skimmer to a "good" setting.

Skimmers really take 1-2 weeks to really "break-in" and start pulling a good amount of skimmate. What kind of skimmer is it.

I have a sea clone 100 skimmer. My problem is that I am not sure I getting the foam level correct. I am not sure how to get the airflow into the skimmer. I sometimes get too much foam or little or no foam at all.

Yea, it will vary, while my skimmer breaks in, I usually set fairly low and eventually some really dry skimmate makes it towards the top, but some people like to break them in really wet. I'm honestly not sure of the best way, you may want to do some research.

So i did a quick look. apparently people clean all the parts with a vinegar/water solution then rinse it out. It is supposed to help break it in quicker.

I don't think there is an easy way to setup a Sea Clone skimmer.

Okay, you want the foam to barely bubble over the raiser and into the collection cup. If done right the skimmate that collects in the cup should be very dark and dry (limited water). It will not smell nice either. These skimmers take awhile to break in and with a new tank you may not have enough proteins in the water to skim anyway.

More then likely your water level is to high. Either raise the skimmer and pump or lower the water level,

Well after 7 days my tank water is so clear it sometimes look like there is no water inside. I had the LFS check the water quality yesterday and they said everything is good. I am thinking about putting some hermit crabs today to help with the cycle for another week.

I recommend that you buy a liquid test kit like API and start learning to test the water yourself. In the mean time when you ask the LFS to do a test have them give you the numbers..Test for SG, Ammonia, Nitrite, nitrate, temp. and P03 if you can. It will really help you out down the road and take some of the Mistique out of Maintaiining a SW system.

Last edited:
Well i went to the LFS that i buy my rocks from. He tested my water again for me and he told me I have a PH reading of 8.1 and my ammonia level is high he showed me he number/reading but I don't remember what is was exactly, I know it was more than zero. My salinity was at 1.026. The owner of the LFS gave me 5 gallons of RO water free to replenish the water that was evaporate. I also got some more LRs. this morning my salt reading was 1.023.

Back
Top Bottom