Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

New tank without a filter (updated with pic)

Hi everyone,

I've added a bunch of base rock to my system as of yesterday and some live sand/macro algae and it's created quite the murkey water. The tank is finished cycling but unfortunately my filter broke. I only have 2 powerheads and a protein skimmer. The problem is, I can't turn the protein skimmer on because it instantly fills with bubbles (I guess because there is so much stuff in the water!). I was wondering - I added some damsels when my cycle finsihed and wnated to know if they could survive without a filter? It will take a few weeks for a replacement

Picture of Tank:

The NEXT DAY! Powerheads only

Review of Rocks:

The rocks are MarcoRocks. They are truly amazing!! They were recommended by someone here and I jumped on it. www.marcorocks.com Here is my full review:

The rocks were AMAZING shapes and very porous. The largest rock (which can't really be seen) was like a mothership and must've weighed at least 30 lbs. All the rocks had great texture and shape to them! there are also a bunch of small pieces and rubble to have a nice natural look. Marc's rocks are just as he describes - extremely porous and totally awesome! I am planning to get a 2nd tank at some point and will definitely be stocking Marc's rocks again. My roommate recently ordered some uncured liverock to start his reef tank and when he saw my rocks he was extremely jealous. 100 lbs of base rock is far more than 2x his 50lbs uncured liverock. I would wager that it's more than 3x the amount of rock he received! Marc is also wonderful to deal with. he's fast to answer emails and very knowledgeable.

The bad (for Cdns only!) Shipping to Canada is non-standard for him and there were some glitches. It was not his fault but it did arrive slowly and fedex is just dumb. Not to mention it's expensive!! If you're in the states though..just go for it!!

Old 11-29-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Did you cycle your tank with out sand or rock?
How much rock do you have, now?
I'm not sure about the skimmer, so someone might be able to help there.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

First off...how did you cycle the tank? Did you notice any parameter changes? Your tank will do just fine without a filter. The "Berlin" method of filtration consists of a LS substrate, 1.5-2lbs/gal of mature LR and aggressive skimming...thats it. Many successful tanks are kept this way. You just need a few powerheads to circulate the water.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:47 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree that a filter is not needed. I`ve just made it with LR and a skimmer for the first seven yrs. The last two I added a fuge.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I cycled the tank originally with fluval FX5, shrimp from grocery and 25 lbs of cured live rock.

I had a skimmer going for about a week - I still can't run my skimmer. The top part instantly fills with bubbles and the diffuser box overflows - there's just too much in the water right now.

Here's a pic of how it looks now. It cleared up a tiny bit more but it's stopped clearing. I was thinking of getting a diatom filter by Vortex (the XL).

Old 11-29-2006, 10:53 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
That rock is AWESOME! It's hard to tell, but do you have some caves? Where did you get your base?
I think a few of the folks in the previous posts can help with the skimmer. I have never used one.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah no crap! Looks AWESOME! Where did you get the base???

I want some!

Also, like roka said, make some caves. Fishees need em =)
Old 11-30-2006, 12:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

The rocks are MarcoRocks. They are truly amazing!! They were recommended by someone here and I jumped on it. www.marcorocks.com Here is my full review:

The rocks were AMAZING shapes and very porous. The largest rock (which can't really be seen) was like a mothership and must've weighed at least 30 lbs. All the rocks had great texture and shape to them! there are also a bunch of small pieces and rubble to have a nice natural look. Marc's rocks are just as he describes - extremely porous and totally awesome! I am planning to get a 2nd tank at some point and will definitely be stocking Marc's rocks again. My roommate recently ordered some uncured liverock to start his reef tank and when he saw my rocks he was extremely jealous. 100 lbs of base rock is far more than 2x his 50lbs uncured liverock. I would wager that it's more than 3x the amount of rock he received! Marc is also wonderful to deal with.

The bad (for Cdns only!) Shipping to Canada is non-standard for him and there were some glitches. It was not his fault but it did arrive slowly and fedex is just dumb. Not to mention it's expensive!! If you're in the states though..just go for it!!

I appreciate all the commnets! the rock truly does look amazing!! You can't see it but near the back left there's this dome-looking thing that kinda has tons of little pentagonal craters that looked green when I first washed it.. it will look awesome when the water clears I'm sure. As for the caves, there are tons! I tried to stack it up so the fish can easily hide. It's really neat because a fish will swim in the left side and come out the right! Of course, they're only damsels. I don't know that bigger fish could fit/weave through the caves, but I don't think they're into that as much. Also, the caves in the bottom right go all the way to the back.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:29 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Very nice. Will deff. use Marcorocks.com for my base. No doubt.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:54 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do I need to have large caves?? I stacked the rock so that it was sturdy -- rather than trying to make fancy bridges etc. I could make some larger caves if it would be beneficial. I guess it's mostly crevices and alcoves now, rather than actual long big caves.

Tags
filter, pic, tan, updated

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com