new tankk!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LostLoach

Aquarium Advice Activist
i just set up a new tank 20g hex with marineland bio wheel hob filter rated for 30 gallons i think its gonna be fish only atleast for now..i have a few questions. should i take the UG filter out? do i need a skimmer? whats better rock or sand? why? and can i have live rock?? thanks you for any input and lemme know some cool fish or inverts i can have when im cycled?! THANKS-david

I'll leave the UG filter to someone else (lots of people dislike them as they tend to get plugged/slowed right down, they compact the sand, and they can become a nutrient sink). A skimmer isn't necessary but it can increase the amount of bio load that your tank can handle (skimmers take out a ton of crap). I prefer sand for a SW tank for the look and for small critters to live in, also some fish need sand to burrow in. You can and should have rock, live rock, dry rock, DIY rock, it's up to you but you should have some rock. As far as the fish go I would just do some browsing and see what I like. A place I like to check out fish is aquacon.com they have a pretty good selection, some good basic information and the site is fast so it's easy to browse the pictures.

nope, as long as youre not planning on adding corals whatever lights youd like for the look is all you need. obviously check out certain fish because they may be small when you see them but they can get big.

with a tank like that you could do seahorses! but that takes some experience

should i take the UG filter out? do i need a skimmer? whats better rock or sand?

I would get rid of the UG filter. As mentioned above it`s not a very effective filter system in SW. I would skip the skimmer in a small tank like that and just do frequent PWC`s. IMO a skimmer would be a good idea in a 40 gallon and up. Both Rock and sand would be a good idea. Nitrifying bacteria resides on surfaces and the rock and sand are prime property for them. Good luck on the tank.

ok thank you all i still cant believe im actually trying saltwater should be pretty cool

If it means anything, id say this site has built my tank from the first one to the last one from the ground Up.

thanks for the testimony snowzz. and the support melosu. i just got some live san d today took out the UGF and i have to say im pleased

Back
Top Bottom