New to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would love to start a FOWLR damselfish tank. But I've never done saltwater before and don't know where to begin. I heard that saltwater has a higher ph level, but how do you get it there? My tap water is unusualy high at around 8.4 ph, So i figure why not try saltwater instead of 6.4ph tetras and such. Any advise would be great.

It's kind of funny, when I was considering a marine system, I stressed about the water chemistry, parameters, and maintaining "the fine line for saltwater".
As I found out, water pales in comparison to stocking and compatibility. Now that can be an ongoing headache!

Mke pointed you in the right direction. I would add that personally I have found that the optional equipment is really one of those Mandatory options.

I've been doing salt water for 6 six years after 15+ of FW only. I've made just about every mistake you can make. Finding this forum has been a huge help.
What I learned my fist week here is that "Nothing GOOD ever happens FAST in a salt water aquarium"!!!!!

Read the articles on this forum, develop a plan, post your plan and thoughts and listen to the mentors and moderators (though we don't always agree LOL).

Salt Water is so much more rewarding and not that much more work.

Welcome to the Salty side!

welcome to the salty side. I am fairly new to sw (any aquarium for that matter) and was told about how much work sw tanks are but i have found they are not complicated at all esp since we have great forums like this one for advice. cmor is right.
"Nothing GOOD ever happens FAST in a salt water aquarium"!!!!!
EVEN with stocking. good luck, oh yea one more thing WE LOVE PICS even of an empty tank lol.

Back
Top Bottom