Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New to saltwater

I have a 29 gallon saltwater tank with 1 clarkii and 1 damsel for starters. I have a couple of questions....what type of fish would go well with those current fish. Also, when the salt forms on the light hood, can it or should it go back in the water? I'm starting to get some algae. What critter will eat that up the best?

Old 02-11-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

The longer the damsel is in the tank without the other fish the meaner he is going to be to new tank members, my damsel where always mean to new fish unless I added them at the same time. For a tank that size I would recommend a royal gramma , maybe a pair of fire fish. Those add some nice color.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tell us more about your tank and filteration system. How long has your tank been setup? Are you cycling with fish?
saltwatertogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA.
I personally don't like damsels... as juveniles they look nice and are not horrible tank mates... but once they grow up... they turn into ugly (insert favorite mean four letter word here) I love fire fish as well... but as I was saying I would probably get rid of the damsel and replace it with something else... fire fish and a goby would be my choice.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hey pal. I would highly recommend a royal gramma absolutely stunning fish to watch and look after. How much live rock have you got in your tank? And as for the algae I'd chuck in a clean up posse. Also I've always loved clOwnies nice community fish easy to maintain also. Hope this helps
Old 02-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have a sand bottom and purchased pre-mixed saltwater. In a 29 gallon tank I was advised to put in a marineland bio-wheel for a 55 gallon tank. My tank has been set up for about 7 weeks now with 2 fish for the past 6 weeks. I got some snails today to work on the algae. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Don't know to much about what fish get along w/ others, but I like the royal grammas to. And bicolor psuedos. Awesome looking. Snails are good clean up crews, I always went by 1 per gallon. But it also depends on the footprint of your tank. If your algae ever gets out of control, get a sea hare. They'll have your tank cleaned in 2 days, no matter how bad your algae problem is.

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com