NEW to saltwater NEED Advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UTSAtank420

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I wanted to introduce myself since im new to this forum before I bombard yall with questions which can be annoying especially from noobs. Im bought to acquire this 125gallon saltwater tank off craigslist for a great deal 100 less than what is offered. :D Here is the ad 125galFishTank. Let me know what yall think bout the aquarium. This is my first saltwater aquarium to own. But im not new to the aquarium hobby. I have 2 freshwater cichlid tanks a 29gal assorted cichlid and 55 gal malawi tank. The tanks are awesome but I decided its time to move to the move up my game to salt water. I just had some questions about tank maintence?
1. Is there anything I should check before purchasing this tank? it seems like it comes with everything you need to set-up so thats a plus.
2. After the intial set-up of the tank, how much do you estimate the maintaining a saltwater such as electricity, food, salt, ect.? My dad claims that saltwater tanks will eat away your funds for maintence. I figured most expensive items would be salt or electricity.
Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thats a pretty good deal for a 125 gallon tank. Saltwater is definatly more expensive than fresh for sure. As you figure, water, salt and electricity, and live rock if you buy it ( which I highly recommend) will be your highest prices. I would start out with a FOWLR system - much more easier for a beginner to start with.

live rock ( needed to maintain ph, hiding places for fish, place for coral if you get it etc. Live - about $4-10lb ( and would recommend about 100-200# of this rock ( so anywhere from $400-$2000) median price seems to be $7 per pound, though you can start out with mostly 'dead rock' ( dry reef rock eg: marcorocks.com) and use a few good pounds of live. I got 20# off marco dry for .89#

Do not just et any old rock for SW. It can not have any metals, other bad stuff, and needs to be made of certain materials to 'buffer' the water. Hense using live or dead rock seeded with live.

Some people also recommend a DSB ( deep sand bed) and some use a small layer of sand. Bags of sand usually run anywhere from $10-$30 a bag for 15# ( dont waste your money on 'live' sand, just get the dry argonite sand)

Salt is about $50 for a 150 gallon mix, depending on what you do. Figure about 10-20 % water change once a week ( 15-30 gallons) you're looking at about $50 every 5-10 weeks for salt.

If you go FOWLR you dont need expensive lights with high wattage, so dont worry about that for now.

I would buy some good saltwater test kits ( about $5-50 depending on the kit) start with ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH

I'd certainly recommend cycling your tank to save a lot of money and hassle too. It takes 4-6 weeks usually for a saltwater tank to cycle. Dont put in any fish before then, otherwise theres more $'s down the drain!

Thats a good starting point, feel free to ask more q's! :)

Well thats good that the monthly maintence will not cost a leg and an arm. I guess I was led to believe something else. Where can you get the dry argonite sand at? Is it something you get a home improvement store or pet store?

Back
Top Bottom