Hi there, My name is Tim and I have had freshwater fish for 30+ years. I have at times had 1 55G, 1 30G and over 10 10-15G tanks going at once. I had my standard show tanks and also used the small tanks for specialty tanks for breeds like Killiefish.
After 30 years of being affraid I am now starting a FOWLR
tank. And after reading, watching and studying for the last 2 weeks I feel a little better about saltwater but still have a few questions and would really appreciate some help.
I have got my 75G cleaned of all freshwater stuff and wiped down and rinsed out. It is placed where it will not get sun and I THINK??? I'm ready to get started.
First what I hope to have:
1. Cleanup crew including a few crabs (small), Snails and a few shrimp.
2. My wife wants a Blue Hippo Tang (was almost a requirement to release the funds to convert to saltwater)
3. A couple of Clowns
And the rest is up in the air for now.
OK, The questions:
1. is it better to go with only live rock Plus a Skimmer? (I also have a Filstar XP3 canister that could be used as a foam/carbon filter)
Or could I use a combination of say 40 to 50Lbs of live rock, A wet/dry drip system( with Bio-Balls) with a skimmer?
2. If I used a wet/dry what size (20 or 30G) should I use? And what flowrate would I want to get out of it?
3. Is there any benefit to adding 10 or 20Lbs of Live Sand to my tank or should I just use standard sand?
I would really appreciate any advice. I want to do this right the first time.
I am really excited to get started But know that it will be about 4 to 5 weeks before adding a cleanup crew and another 2 to 4 weeks before my first Renter is added.
Thanks for your HELP....