New to the forum, need help with my aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masecool3636

Aquarium Advice Newbie
About a week ago ive decided to start a saltwater tank. My boss gave me a free 35 gallon tank. I know nothing about the equipment. I have a penguin Bio-Wheel 150 filter, a light with a t5 marineland and a 200 watt heater. Do I really need a sump? The tank is in my room on top of my dresser, zero room for a sump. Ok, ive asked about a billion questions so here comes a billion more. Here is me plan. Get all of my equipment (filter, lights, ETC.) Then, buy my sand, pre-cured live rock and put the ro water in. Let it cycle until done then get 2 clownfish and 1 starfish. How is this? Should I do anything different?

I think you need more filtration. If you're going with a HOB filter for SW, the max rating should be double the size of the tank. So a filter for about a 70 gallon would be best. Aquaclear is a good brand because you can add bags of whatever you want/lots of space. Since the light is not HO and I'm assuming it's only one or two bulbs, it wouldn't be good for growing coral. It would be fine for a FOWLR tank though. Also, it's not needed, but if you are willing to spend some extra money for more filtration, think about investing in a good HOB protein skimmer. There's a lot of cheap crappy HOB ones so research a lot if you're going to get one. Sounds like a good plan for starting up.

Ok so ditch the filter, and get a protien skimmer. Whats your opinion on canister filters? I think they look fantastic.

Canister filters hold nitrates unless you clean them very frequently and saltwater fish can not tolerate as much nitrates as freshwater fish so you will need to keep it very clean. Skimmer are preferred filters in saltwater tanks

Also you can get a hang on the back skimmer. Also you dont have to have a sump. You will need to have good water movement so you may need a powerhead

So can I just use live rock, sand and a skimmer for my filtration system?

Yep :). The skimmer will actually pull out a lot of junk once it breaks in. You will also need a power head to circulate the water

Wave makers are great. However, they can be pricey. I like the vortech powerheads myself :). I have the mp10 powerheads on all my tanks

A power head just moves the water around for circulation. Think of the ocean and the constant waves and movement. Power head try to copy that movement

The circulation helps keep the tank cleaner by moving the junk around so the skimmer can catch it and it also help oxygenate the water. Koralia power head are a good power head to start with. They are a decent quality at a decent price

That sounds fantastic. Ill definantly invest in a powerhead and skimmer. I really appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom