Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thank you for your advice and help again. This is really helping me feel like I am getting a plan together. Can you tell me why no chromis or why the blue reef chromis vs the blue/green type? Also, do the Bengaii Cardinals do better in a school or does it matter? Also, someone told me to stay away from the four striped damsel because they are little demons. What do they do that makes them such a bad fish to keep?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge. I am trying to figure out my best options so I can figure out what fish I want and so that I don't miss out on the order and not be able to add something I want in the future due to the aggression of the other fish.

Thank you again for all your help. This is great and I really appreciate the feedback from everyone in here. I feel like I am getting better advice now than I have in the past few months of research.

StartingInUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #12
Another fish you could try is a hawkfish.. Several different variations, the flame hawk is especially nice.. I've kept them on and off throughout the years, and they are amusing to watch..

As for the chromis question, I used to always use blue/green chromis to cycle my tanks, back before live rock became popular to cycle, and no matter how much you start out with (I've started out with 3,5,8) they always end up killing each other.. Not sure on the blue reef, I've never kept one..

Striped damsels along with most damsels get very aggressive.. They'll chase other fish, nip at them, stuff like that..

Cardinals do better in schools, I have 3 currently in my tank.. Swim together when I have the moonlight on..

If u do keep clowns, they can get aggressive, it really depends on the fish, more so when they get older as well..

I'd start off with the cardinalfish, maybe a royal gramma or firefish..

Good luck

Str8edgejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:53 PM   #13
A side note on crabs and snails.. Make sure you do your research on species.. Some hermits can be bad, such as Halloween, others can be good such as zebras (I have about 14 zebras in my tank right now).. Some snails can be bad, move around rocks and decor, such as turbos, others like trochus snails can be great.. The above poster is right though, if they don't have food they'll starve.. One thing I like to do is use the dried seaweed sheets I give my tangs, I'll cut a small strip off and put it under a rock every two days.. The hermits and snails flock to it at night..
Str8edgejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I like the blue reef chromis better because they live. I don't think the blue/green chromis kill each other, because I never see any aggression out of them, but they do tend to die off for some reason. Damsels in general can be very aggressive.

mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com