Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New to this with 10 gallon tank

Hi all, pretty new to everything to do with Fish, and i kinda wish i read a forum like this before i impulse bought a tank. Anywho, thats done now, and i just require some advice, which would be greatly appreciated.

So i have my 10 gallon tank, with 10lbs of live rock which is cycling. I bought it cured. I have a heater and a filter which i was told would be fine for my tank size.

The main concern i have is, will this equipment be enough for my tank size, or do i need to invest in a protein skimmer? Im also adding a solution to my tap water to get rid of all those harmful chemicals, but should i invest in a RO? Or any other equipment?

Finally, when coming to fish, i know i'm really limited by size but i had mu=y heart set on a set few, but i think i might really be pushing it for room.

so this is kinda what i want, please let me know, if you think this will be possible, cheers.

2x Ocellaris Clown fish
1x Blue/Green Chromie
1x Goby (not quite sure what type yet)
2xScarlet Hermit Crab
3xZebra Hermit Crab
2xTurbo Snail

Is that over kill?

Old 12-15-2011, 01:01 AM   #2

So this is what it looks like at present. It has been cycling for 3 days now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3800502149.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	65689  

Old 12-15-2011, 01:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh no im sorry... tooooo
Many fish for a tiny 10 gallon. too many. I suggest adding more hermits and snails, some fire/peppermint/cleaner shrimp. And 1 clown with 1 small goby
Old 12-15-2011, 01:12 AM   #4

Cheers, i thought as much. I think i might just get a bigger tank in a few months, and then slowly migrate the rock and the few fish and critters i have into that. Hopefully that won't be too traumatic for them.

In terms of equipment, i think i might just buy the RO and protein skimmer, as i've decided that a bigger tank is the only way forward. Gonna see if i can pick something up for cheap and move the rocks and sand over now, as I've only just started cycling.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I second....way to many fish. The basic rule of thumb is 1-2gal of water per 1" of fully grown fish. The clowns can get up to 3 1/2" each, so thats 7". I do the 2gal per 1" so that the two clowns are out for me. You could do one clown with a small yellow clown goby, they max size is under 2". Unless you do all nano fish under the 2" size, sorry to say you won't be able to do anymore then 2 fish.

Stay Salty,
Old 12-15-2011, 01:29 AM   #6

Cheers for the advice guys. So if i don't manage to get a larger tank in the next few days, ill just get two clowns, and the critters.

Does anyone know of a good reputable online dealer where i can get a reasonably priced tank, shipped to Canada.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:45 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Canada not to sure about. You could try marinedepot.com
But again not sure about Canada.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:11 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

In my opinion 2 clowns would be a bit over the limit, but it could work. Because o the lack of space there could be agression between the two and the chances of death are higher because they will pollute the water quick
Old 12-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you are going to set up the 10 gallon and move to a larger tank just do the goby first. Then when you get a 40 gallon get the chromis next and then the clowns. When you add fish you want to start with the most peaceful and do a fish a month with the clowns add them both at the same time. I would also hold off on the turbos until you get the other tank because I doubt there would be enough algae in a 10 gallon long term for them to survive.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #10

Good news. I just spoke to the pet store where i bought the 10G from. they've agreed to take it back and i'm gonna switch it for a 30 Gallon.

Well happy. so i just need to take the water, sand and live rock out of my current tank store them in a bucket for a day before migrating them to the new tank tomorrow evening.

Does anyone foresee any issues with doing this? i believe this is my 3rd or 4th day cycling with live rock.

Thanks for the help.

Tags
10 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com