Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes but in the ocean the bacteria are already there to break down the fish waste so that's not valid point at all do you understand what the cycle does?

Old 08-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Kinda kinda not lol it's been cycling fish less for over two weeks with live rock

Old 08-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
The ocean is completely different than a small cube of water. You need to build a bacteria colony capable of breaking down your bio load's waste to a non-toxic point. This can be done easily without fish, and nothing needs to suffer. Or, you can use fish, like suggested, and torture them while you bacteria colony is growing.
The no fish way is better because it's more humane, and you probably don't want to keep damsels after the cycle is over, and they are difficult to catch. It's much easier to dump ammonia into the tank and just wait. Some toss in a raw cocktail shrimp and use that to start the cycle.
Using fish to cycle a tank does not make the cycle shorter.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I don't think I'm torturing them they seem to b fine you people are crazy with fish the fish is fine I've had live rock in there for three weeks and then I've had the power head going for two weeks before I got the damsels and trust me there's not many hiding places in the tank I can easily pick up the live rock to catch them
Old 08-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLARBEAR0871 View Post
Well I don't think I'm torturing them they seem to b fine you people are crazy with fish the fish is fine I've had live rock in there for three weeks and then I've had the power head going for two weeks before I got the damsels and trust me there's not many hiding places in the tank I can easily pick up the live rock to catch them
Just my 2 cents. However you take it, please nobody try to argue with me. Just giving out my opinion.

Yes, you can traditionally cycle with fish. It will cycle, but you are still putting your fish at risk. You can keep a close eye on it and it will help but you yourself, (the most valuable resource to the tank) cannot be available 24/7. So, if something goes wrong, then there goes your fish. Also, just because your LFS owner has been in business for 30 years doesn't mean he always knows what he's doing. He's still a human. My father is a believer in the traditional cycle and is very closed minded to any other ways. Just because you cycle with fish doesn't mean you'll cycle faster either. I'm not a huge outgoing, you're going to hell for torturing animals kind of person but I do try to be humane as possible. I mean, a fish being in a tank full of ammonia with nothing to break it down is like us being in a room full of carbon dioxide without a window. Now that I'm done preaching to you, here's my suggestion.

Get some pure ammonia, a raw shrimp, fish good or whatever. It'll save you stress and time. You won't have to do all this WC and have to worry about the fish. If anything man, at least cycle for a whole month without fish before putting them in. They'll at least have some BB. Hell, if you wait a month with fishless it might get all the way cycled! But any prescience of sustained ammonia is dangerous! IMO buddy! Either way though, good luck!
Old 08-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thnx and they seem to be doing fine as of now still so they're all good for right now
Old 08-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Thnx and they seem to be doing fine as of now still so they're all good for right now
You're welcome. Just keep this in the back of your mind, there could be more than meets the eye! If you run into any problems, just come on back.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't worry I'm always on here for something lol
Old 08-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Don't worry I'm always on here for something lol
I know the feeling bro! Haha!
Old 08-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol I always have a problem with my freshwater tak

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com