New update on my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not safe. It just won't kill you. It's poison. This is why there are studies done on it and we have ammonia test kits. Cigarettes are a good example. Would you consider cigarettes safe? They do damage to your body just like ammonia or any other toxic substance will. They will kill you when you've ingested enough...just like ammonia. I don't want my fish to suffer. I don't want my fish inhaling a single cigarette.

Omg I don't think it's good it's what my LFS owner said to do so I did it I'm 16 and I listened to him since he has over 30 yrs of experience

Well that's lesson 1 learnt. Choose your LFS wisely, most are there just to make a quick buck and will tell you almost anything to achieve this unfortunately. Asking questions here has always helped me steer my tank in a positive direction. ?

Just do like me an buy 275lbs of cured live rock and 220lbs of live sand and then you can dose to 4ppm ammonia and in 5 hours its gone :)

Attachments

• image-131770189.jpg
    image-131770189.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 62
Ive got some blue,striped,and tan colored Damsels and I think theyre great fish.I wouldnt cycle my fish tank with them.Sure they got some attitude but they have some awesome colors.I just cycle my tanks with a stocking and some dead shrimp and all my tanks are all pretty stable .....

Well everyone is flipping out about this but in reality I've had lie rock in there for almost three weeks before I got the damsels only one died but it was killed by the other fish unfortunately I have a black and white striped damsel and a black one with two white spots one on the top fin and one on the borrow fin it looks really cool then the other three are just blue lol

If your listening to those with experience, I have over 40 years of it. Ammonia even in small quantities burns a fishes gill membranes. Yes, many fish can tolerate small amounts for awhile. Corals are killed almost immediately by any concentration at all.

Fish less cycling is less cruel as there is no "test" fish. All organic laden sand and rock comes to you with a lot of dead material in it that breaks down into ammonia fast. This occurs during shipment and storage. In many cases you don't even need to add a dead shrimp or ammonia to get the process started.

If you graph the nitrogen cycle, you will see it is rhythmic. It is always pulsing up and down. A new tank has these peaks crossing into the kill zone. A cycled tank is when those pulses flatten out and the nitrogen cycle isn't swinging back and forth dramatically. IMO it is safer for this to sort it's self out without livestock present.

Yes ik this the ammonia high=dead fish ik this listen MY TANK WAS ALREADY CYCLED WHEN I PUT THEM IN THEY'RE PERFECTLY FINE NOW jeeeez you people don't understand half the crap I say

I don't think people are necessarily arguing what you have done now its fully understood just the point in general as no one is mentioning your specifically

Lol Polar Bear......some people take fish keeping way too seriously.Not everyone is a fish Guru.... Hec,I know I have alot to learn .......this website has been the best one Ive come across so far......p.s. I havent lost a fish yet in all 3 of my tanks yet....they got good advice here..I reckon

Plus tbf you were the one who said they help speed up the cycle lol so just all miscommunication. But once the debate started think people were just debating the issue in general not about you once you clarified

Back
Top Bottom