Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New water for new tank?

I have run my new salt water tank for 4 days with tap water to check for leaks, all has been sorted out. I was planning on emptying the fresh water (from the tap, has A tds of 110ppm) and re filling with RO/DI water. A LFS said that i dont have too because I am not putting any coral in,and i can just add the salt to the water in the tank. The tank is a180 gallons with a 40 gal sump. It will take 4 or 5 days for my ro/DI unit to produce that much water. What do you think?

Old 04-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Thanx but no.....

Depends on what you want to start with. If you're happy with the tap water, add the salt and move to Ro/DI during your water changes. If you want to start with pure water, drain and refill. Honestly 110 doesn't seem 'that' bad but it's a personal choice.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
I would test your tap water for phosphates. When I started my 180 I hauled RO/DI water from a LFS to speed the filling.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Ezy brings up a good point. If your tap water has alot of phosphates, nitrates or silicates then you`ll most likely have some severe algea problems. If it was me I would go with the RO/DI but it`s up to you. Here is a good link on tap water.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2004/chem.htm

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why not just start off right ,and use RO/DI ?
As mentioned it will give you algea issues . And will take a bit of time to remove it all as this will be in your LR , sand and every where ... It is just easier to use RO/DI from the start and eliminate the fuel from the algea from the beginning .. and a TDS of 110 is too high for a tank ... so you are almost 99% that you will have algea issues in it
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #6

thanks,
I figured this to be the case. I have the 50 gal per day RO/DI unit. I might as well start off with the best water conditions I can. I just know it is going to take days to fill! Im going to get 30' of hose and put it in the tank with my auto shut off.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

why not buy some and fill some with your system it will make it easier on your filters and help you to speed along say 50/50 or 60/40 etc
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #8

I have 60 gal worth of 5 gal buckets in my truck now. when I finnigh work today I am going to speed this up by oging to the LFS. The tank was only up 2" overnight. I will go crazy watching the slow progress. what do you pay for 5 gallons of R/O water?
Old 04-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
Thanx but no.....

'and a TDS of 110 is too high for a tank'

Average TDS in a US metropolitan area us 300-400 ppm. That reading does not mean the concentration is all nitrate/phosphate or silicates. Testing is the only way to determine that.

Although I don't, lots of people use tap water and have minimal if any algae issues. I venture a guess that some use RO/DI and still fight algae issues as well.

As I said, I would consider a TDS of 110 a great number for municipal tap water, not knowing what the levels of nitrate/phosphates and silicates are
Old 04-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #10

Send a message via ICQ to R6Chick Send a message via AIM to R6Chick Send a message via MSN to R6Chick Send a message via Yahoo to R6Chick
No point in starting with pristine water in a new tank. The tank is going to crash anyway, that's the point of cycling. Add your water treatment stuff if you have not already and some salt.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com