New water help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serafin

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank has been cycled and I have had my 2 new fish, shrimp , crabs and snails in there for a week now. I've tested the water and its still showing 0 ammonia nitrites and nitrates. Is this normal as I was expecting the nitrates to go up quickly or am I mistaken?

My tank has been cycled and I have had my 2 new fish, shrimp , crabs and snails in there for a week now. I've tested the water and its still showing 0 ammonia nitrites and nitrates. Is this normal as I was expecting the nitrates to go up quickly or am I mistaken?

How long did you cycle it for? What is the size of your tank?

If its a small bio load it may take awhile for something to show. How much and often do you feed?

One week may not be long enough, also when do you do your water changes?

The tank is a 55g and cycled fir around 6 weeks. I feed 2 times a day morning and evening.

Ammonia and Nitrites should stay at zero if the tank cycled. Nitrates could take a while if there is not a large bio-load. Everything zeros is good.

Cool, maybe my fish are not as messy as I first thought they would be and the bioload is low. Guess ill just keep the test kit out and keep an eye on the nitrates, then change the water when they start to rise. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom