Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

new yellow tang

Just purchased a yellow tang and I acclimated him about three hours ago and the tang is just staying at the bottom of the tank is swims around occasionly but ends up going back to the same spot. Is this normal tang behavior during acclimated? I also put in some mysis shrimp and the tang did eat a lot of it also have two damsels and the tank is a 75 gallon tank

Old 03-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It could just be acting strange due to the move. Just food for thought...Yellow Tangs need lots of space to swim and its usually suggested that they be housed in a six foot tank. Smaller tanks stress fish out and stress lowers immunity. That often leads to things like Ich, especially with Tangs. They also like established tanks, as they like to graze on algae. I saw a post saying you had just filled your tank a month ago.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yup, I set it up about a month ago, every thing seems well. the damsels are doing fine they are bright blue so that tells me they are not stressed. The tang swims around and is bright yellow, except this morning before I left for work I turned the light on and noticed he had a brown spot with a white line across his body not sure what tht means
Old 03-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenas2890 View Post
Yup, I set it up about a month ago, every thing seems well. the damsels are doing fine they are bright blue so that tells me they are not stressed. The tang swims around and is bright yellow, except this morning before I left for work I turned the light on and noticed he had a brown spot with a white line across his body not sure what tht means
Ah but damsels are like living rocks! Those things are harder to kill than Kenya trees!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Being new to the tank anything can be expected. He sounds ok to me.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Oh, I didn't know that about the damsels, but today I bought some seaweed for the tang and when I put it in their the tang started to eat it, so I'm assuming he is ok, and he is starting to swim around the tank more by the way I used spring water when I started my tank

Tags
tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com