Newb Filtration Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaymclean

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all. I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if this has been asked and addressed before. Basically, I have a 55gal setup with live rock, HOB Penguin 350 w/bio-wheels, and just added a protein skimmer. The tank is about 2 months old now and is in good shape, all tests come up normal. I was looking at changing the filtration, but have seen so many bits of conflicting advice around the net and honestly, it leaves me a bit confused. I was looking at adding an overflow box and I already have an extra 10 gal I can use for a sump or what-not. What would be the best way to go for this? I've seen all kinds of advice on bio-balls, sintered glass(Ehfisubstrat Pro), SeaChem Matrix, and pot scrubbies.

At this point the tank has a live sand base, not too deep though. The LR is around 60-70 lbs I would guess. There are currently 2 false percs, 1 dwarf flame angel, 4 chromis, 2 peppermint shrimp, 1 green bubble anemone, and about a dozen hermits. There are no current plans to go reef, but I won't rule that out in the future, I would need to upgrade the lighting though. I currently have a dual T5 with a 10k and actinic.

My ultimate goal is to get rid of the HOB and move the skimmer(currently HOB, but can go in a sump) off of the display tank. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jason

Just chunk some lr in the sump with the skimmer and heater. And you'll be good to go. A 10g isn't going to be very big so don't try and get too fancy with bubble traps and other things. My first sump was a 29g and I had a bubble trap before the return section, the rest of the sump was for a fuge setup. Worked pretty good till i got a bigger oufit. That's what worked for me, everyone is different though.

Oh yeah, if you haven't researched any, do plenty of that before ever starting any work.

Back
Top Bottom