Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-12-2011, 02:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Newb seeking advice on tank setup. Please help :)

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and to the saltwater fish hobby. I am going to start off with a 14 gallon Oceanic BioCube 14 gallon tank. My goal (at least for now) is simply to have an aquarium with some cool looking fish and a neat aquascape, while also providing a safe and comfortable environment for the fish. I will not be adding coral, anemones, etc; just fish, live rock and a cleanup crew. I will also be using live sand. Here are some of the questions that I have:

1. What type of fish/how many could I house without overstocking to the point that the fish get stressed and sick? I was thinking of having an ocellaris clown, yellowtail blue damsel, six-line wrasse and an orange spotted goby. Is this ok for a 14 gallon BioCube with only fish and live rock? If so, in which order would it be best to introduce the fish? Also, what are some other cool looking fish that typically don't grow past 3in.?

2. I have read that many people remove the bioballs that come in the BioCube aquarium - should I do this as well? If so, what (if anything) should I put in the chamber in place of the bioballs to provide my fish with the best possible chance to stay healthy and survive? I plan on doing weekly 2 gallon water changes once the tank is up and running - is this too conservative? Could I get away with bi-weekly water changes and still keep my fish healthy? How much live sand/live rock would you recommend stocking my tank with?

I'm sorry for all the questions. I am super interested in this hobby, but I'm a total newb and would greatly appreciate any input/advice you guys have to offer.

jamesd28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would cut at least one out..
JMHuestis is offline   Reply With Quote

setup, tan, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com