Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-08-2008, 12:16 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
HoCkEyGmC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 1,008
Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Toronto View Post
Dark blue with yellow tail, sounds like a blue tang to me.

Ask your LFS for some large styrofoam containers with lids, most seem to have these sitting in the back room. Use this to move the live rock, with the lid on they will maintani their moisture for a few days even.
i agree with everything but that^, what about all of those mushrooms all over the rocks?
__________________

__________________
HoCkEyGmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:15 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
pat8you's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Woodbridge, Va
Posts: 1,802
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I would talk to your LFS to see if you can sell back those fish for credit. No matter what you do to that tank as far as cleaning it you will need to cycle it again which will take a while and you shouldn't have fish in there during the cycle.

I wouldn't reuse the sand. It will have all kinda of things built up in there that could cause you mini cycles and other issues. I wouldn't risk it and get all new sand. Its not all that expensive considering what you will spend on all the rest of the things in the tank.

Hard to tell from the pictures but if that section of the sump is submerged then i would replace all those with LR rubble. If it's water trickleing over the bioballs then i think you should probably keep the bioballs. Not positive cuz i have never had that kind of a sump. Either way i would give them a good cleaning in a bucket with a pressurized hose or a pressure washer if you have access to one.

As far as cleaning the tank. I would just take that thing out in the back yard with a hose and a dish scrubber (plastic brissles) and go to town.

For the rock. As others have suggested get a big bucket/trash can kinda thing and the dish scrubber again and start scrubbing off as much as you can.

The long and short of it is your going to have one sore arm after a long weekend of scrubbing down everything.
__________________

__________________
Pat
pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:26 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoCkEyGmC View Post
i agree with everything but that^, what about all of those mushrooms all over the rocks?
Scrub everywhere except where there's a coral of course. I scrubbed mine and still have around 10 mushrooms (different types), a large kenya tree, some zoo's, and a few unknown tree-type things. Scrubbing helped get the nuisance algae off the LR's I purchased, and left the coraline behind.

Personally, if I have the chance to adopt an aquarium, I wouldn't want to adopt the same problems the original owner had with it.
__________________
Justin_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:33 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
HoCkEyGmC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 1,008
Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Toronto View Post
Scrub everywhere except where there's a coral of course. I scrubbed mine and still have around 10 mushrooms (different types), a large kenya tree, some zoo's, and a few unknown tree-type things. Scrubbing helped get the nuisance algae off the LR's I purchased, and left the coraline behind.

Personally, if I have the chance to adopt an aquarium, I wouldn't want to adopt the same problems the original owner had with it.
yea but you said that the rocks cold stay moist for a few days? surely you wouldn't do this with corals?
__________________
HoCkEyGmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
pat8you's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Woodbridge, Va
Posts: 1,802
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I would say go to the LFS and buy a couple pieces of rubble and just pull the mushrooms and random corals that you want to keep off the old rock and glue them to the rubble. Those old rocks are really going to need a good cleaning.
__________________
Pat
pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern TN
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
I would say go to the LFS and buy a couple pieces of rubble and just pull the mushrooms and random corals that you want to keep off the old rock and glue them to the rubble. Those old rocks are really going to need a good cleaning.

Just glue them on with superglue?
__________________
dffhogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern TN
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
I would talk to your LFS to see if you can sell back those fish for credit. No matter what you do to that tank as far as cleaning it you will need to cycle it again which will take a while and you shouldn't have fish in there during the cycle.

I wouldn't reuse the sand. It will have all kinda of things built up in there that could cause you mini cycles and other issues. I wouldn't risk it and get all new sand. Its not all that expensive considering what you will spend on all the rest of the things in the tank.

Hard to tell from the pictures but if that section of the sump is submerged then i would replace all those with LR rubble. If it's water trickleing over the bioballs then i think you should probably keep the bioballs. Not positive cuz i have never had that kind of a sump. Either way i would give them a good cleaning in a bucket with a pressurized hose or a pressure washer if you have access to one.

As far as cleaning the tank. I would just take that thing out in the back yard with a hose and a dish scrubber (plastic brissles) and go to town.

For the rock. As others have suggested get a big bucket/trash can kinda thing and the dish scrubber again and start scrubbing off as much as you can.

The long and short of it is your going to have one sore arm after a long weekend of scrubbing down everything.

Thanks for the advice, I think i found someone to "fish sit" for me...
__________________
dffhogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern TN
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Toronto View Post
Dark blue with yellow tail, sounds like a blue tang to me.

Honestly, what you're looking to do will take a few weeks to do properly. Before doing anything, take those fish/animals to the LFS and sell them for a credit, OR ask them if they can hold them for you for a few weeks.

Ask your LFS for some large styrofoam containers with lids, most seem to have these sitting in the back room. Use this to move the live rock, with the lid on they will maintani their moisture for a few days even.

Buy a good RO/DI system and start making fresh water for the aquarium. You'll need some large containers (I use garbage bins) to hold the water while it's being made.

Dump all that water out of the aquarium, don't bother bringing it home with you. Empty everything frm the aquarium, as a 210g even empty, is heavy. (rocks, sand, ornaments, water) Don't worry about cleaning anything until you get home.

Use a gravel vaccuum to clean the cyano off the sand before removing it. Other than the cyano on top, the sand seems to be in good shape to be used after a few rinses.

Once you got everything home, you can use an algae scrubber and some fresh water to clean the glass, it's better to rub lightly 5 times then hard once and risk scratching the glass. I find it easiest to do this cleaning with the aqurium sitting on the floor, so you can walk all around it and clean it properly.

Next, start scrubbing some of the nuisance algae from those live rocks in those styrofoam containers.

You can clean/rinse the live sand in some freshly made SW. You'll never get the water crystal clear, you just want to remove the large waste particles and algae from the sand.

Then you can begin cleaning that sump and skimmer out. Bioballs work great as long as they're NEVER moved. Move them and you'll have problems. Either rinse them out and start fresh with them (don't remove ALL the stuff from them, there is tonnes of beneficial bacteria on them), or get rid of them and buy some Live Rubble to use in there instead. (or a 50/50 mix, and down the road you can start removing the bios for rocks.)

Clean out that skimmer really well too.

Next you can hook everything back up. Then, head to your local hardware store, or LFS store... because there will be lots of parts you'll want to replace or upgrade at this time. (plumbing, lighting, filteration, etc.)

Put in your live sand, live rock, and water. You can mix the salt in the water at this time.

You'll need to wait a while for your tank your cycle, it shouldn't take too long though. My tank had a lot of stuff from a preexisting aquarium as well.. (rock, sands, etc.)... it didn't even take a full week to cycle, and during that time my LR came with a blenny, some starfish, hermits, and snails, and I have't had any fatalities either. So it shouldnt' be too bad.

Next, you can start introducing your fish back to the aquarium.

And last, you can enjoy your new free aquarium.

Thanks for the advice, I thiink I found someone to "fish sit' for me..
__________________
dffhogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus
 
Ziggy953's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Owings Mills, Maryland
Posts: 9,101
Congratulations on the free tank! 210 is a great size tank and offers a lot of options.

I'm glad you have some one to take the fish for you as you have a lot of work to do. Nothing is ever truely free. LOL.

A lot of good advice has been given but here is how I would handle this.

1. Buy a couple of 32g trash cans from Walmart ($12)
2. Siphon water out of the tank and into the trashcans. (about 1/3 full to start)
3. As you remove the rock, pull the macro algae off the rocks and toss it. That is caulerpa and not something you want in the display tank. This is ok to have in a refugium.
4. DO NOT reuse the sand. Sand is not expensive and not worth reusing for the possible issues it can cause.
5. I would not use the bio balls at all if you are planning on making this a reef system.

You do not need to put LR rubble in the overflow towers. The rubble will go in your sump where the bio balls are/were. You want the LR rubble to be completely submerged.

You are going to want to keep the LR in water to keep it alive. I would save as much of the water from the tank as possible just for this purpose. Judging from the pics it loosk like it will take a couple of trash cans and maybe more just to hold all the rock from the tank. Getting an RO/DI unit ASAP is a very good idea. Check on Ebay you should be able to pick one up for about $100 shipped. Get some salt mix and get to making some water. An additional 32g trash can from walmart will help you out there. Cleaning the tank out is just a matter of some elbo grease and time. No soap (I'm sure you knew that already though). I use a razor blade to scrap the glass and then wipe it down with water and a paper towel. Rinsing the tank out really well is also a good idea. Be prepared for this to take a couple of days to get everything done.

As the others have said clean everything. The skimmer will probably need to be replaced eventually as it looks rather small to handle a 210g tank. That can come later though.

When you get everything home I would put a power head in the trash can with the LR just to keep the water moving.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
pat8you's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Woodbridge, Va
Posts: 1,802
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Quote:
Just glue them on with superglue?
Yeah thats pretty much what it is. Your LFS will have something for it. I believe i use a "three little fishes" brand and it works nicely.
__________________

__________________
Pat
pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FREE: 55-gal Black Pine All-Glass Stand tl00aqua Archive 4 06-11-2009 11:09 PM
Getting a free pleco -- possible to accomodate in my 15 gal? swanandmokashi Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 10 06-24-2006 11:55 PM
OCEAN FREE ONE GAL ALL GLASS TANKS crabguy General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 2 04-06-2006 11:30 AM
I can get a 100 gal+stand and everything for free!!!!!!! Billsgate Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 24 05-21-2005 11:05 PM
Here is my free 29 gal. dralarms New Acquisitions 3 05-11-2005 08:07 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.