The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GatwickGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys, I just set up my first saltwater tank, it's just under 50 gallon, added live rock, live sand, marisys240, mp10, 1 small korali, all this came with the second hand tank, it's been running for 3 weeks, i have clean up crew rite now 1 blood shrimp 2 hermit crab, am I ready to add fish?

Ph 8.0
Ammo 0.25
Nitrite 0. Ppm
Nitrate 5.0 ppm
And also is this normal shell for hermit crab? Thanks guys

Attachments

• image-434082120.jpg
    image-434082120.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 85
  • image-3836383084.jpg
    image-3836383084.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 121
  • image-2881641032.jpg
    image-2881641032.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 86
I would say no if you still have ammonia. Did you provide an ammonia source to cycle?

Hermits will use any shell they can find and if you put a few empty ones in there he may change shells sometime.

That is a gorgeous tank!

scottayy said:
I would say no if you still have ammonia. Did you provide an ammonia source to cycle?

Hermits will use any shell they can find and if you put a few empty ones in there he may change shells sometime.

That is a gorgeous tank!

No I didn't add any ammonia source to the cycle,
I like the shell as long as he is not sick I'm happy, Thanks.

Well, I'm not sure if you're cycled or not. Was it all live rock? You might have just had an ammonia source from a small amount of dieoff during transfer to your tank.

Do I have too much ammonia in my tank? How long more b4 I can add fish, what needs to be done? Thanks in advance.

Are you familiar with the process of cycling?

It turns ammonia (fish waste) into nitrite and then nitrates. You want 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. Nitrates are acceptable up to like 40ppm. If these bacteria that convert waste aren't present then your fish may die and it will be harmful for them.

To see if you are cycled you would need to add an ammonia source and see if it is converted to nitrates within 24 hours. I wouldn't do it with your critters in there though!

scottayy said:
Well, I'm not sure if you're cycled or not. Was it all live rock? You might have just had an ammonia source from a small amount of dieoff during transfer to your tank.

Yes all of them live rock, some of them look so real some of them look so fake(lol) but yes it's live rock. Okie I wait few more days, I m checking everyday with api master kit, do you know how long tht'll last.

GatwickGuy said:
Yes all of them live rock, some of them look so real some of them look so fake(lol) but yes it's live rock. Okie I wait few more days, I m checking everyday with api master kit, do you know how long tht'll last.

How long api master kit last?

Sniperhank said:
It won't go anywhere without an ammonia source. Toss in an uncooked shrimp, that'll do it and feed your hermit crab while you're at it.

Shrimp, where do I get it? Is frozen shrimp ok like from asda, tescos?

Your tank looks really great!! I have a couple of hermits who are in some god awful ugly shells, but they must like them cuz they haven't switched to any of the empty ones I threw in. Lol. You will need to put a few empty shells in there that are bigger than their current shells, though, cuz they will need to move out when they molt and outgrow current shells They're not expensive at the LFS. Your rock looks great, nice hiding holes in there. Good luck!

I got mine from the grocery store. I just walked back to the meat section and told one of the guys I needed one uncooked shrimp. They'll either give it to you for free or point you to a small pack of them. They don't cost much and this is the most simple way of cycling a tank.

Beengirl said:
Your tank looks really great!! I have a couple of hermits who are in some god awful ugly shells, but they must like them cuz they haven't switched to any of the empty ones I threw in. Lol. You will need to put a few empty shells in there that are bigger than their current shells, though, cuz they will need to move out when they molt and outgrow current shells They're not expensive at the LFS. Your rock looks great, nice hiding holes in there. Good luck!

Thanks, and I'll get few more shells when I get the fishes.

Sniperhank said:
I got mine from the grocery store. I just walked back to the meat section and told one of the guys I needed one uncooked shrimp. They'll either give it to you for free or point you to a small pack of them. They don't cost much and this is the most simple way of cycling a tank.

Wow thanks 4 the nice tips.

Back
Top Bottom