Newbie!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Natence

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi just cleaned out my tropical tank ready to set up for marineI have live rock
Uv filter
Power head
Skimmer
RO unit
Lighting
Coral sand
Heater
Now just need to know where to start lol
Don't know much and scared I'm going to kill everything !!need as much advice as possible please on salt levels, salt needed etc
I want a live rock and fish set up

Where are you at in the cycle? Was the rock cured or uncured live rock?

I personally used ammonia to cycle my tank four months ago. Patience is key in cycle, took me four weeks to cycle my tank...

The rock was from a tank that someone was getting rid of so had been in a setup
Not done anything yet just want to get it right before adding fish so want to get levels correct with just the rock first
Have no idea with marine as until now I've had tropical

Salt between 1.023 an 1.025. Live rock is only alive if kept in saltwater...ie if it dries out it is no longer live rock.

I liked the ammonia method and with live rock the cycle may not take as long. Read up on nitrogen cycle if not already familiar. There was a great step by step ammonia cycling link posted in a thread on this site at one point...you may search for it as it walked through the setup start to finish.

ACE hardware sells a brand called 'Ammonia Janitorial Strentgh Formula' which has no additives and it is what I used to cycle my tank. Need to dose to 4ppm (oh yeah, you need a load of testing kits if you don't have any yet, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph)

Back
Top Bottom